Nipple Waterer Qs

WildflowerJLH

Songster
9 Years
Mar 28, 2010
The Mythical State of Jefferson
I am hoping to make my own nipple waterer soon. I have a small cat litter bucket that is 2-3 gallons. The rectangular bottom is about 8" x 10". I currently have 12 chicks, ranging from 6-12 weeks.

Based on these measurements, how many nipples should I put into the bottom of the bucket? Will one bucket be enough for my existing flock? I am planning to order from Neil, once I have my chicks in a row.

Thanks, in advance, for the help.

I could not see your answer for a minute Neil! I have the nipples and love them. I gave them to my husband for fathers day this year and he laughed at me at first....now he talks about them to others all the time. After I was sure they were drinking out of them I started putting water in the run once a day also.

I have mine installed in the bottom of a five gallon bucket that we hang from the ceiling. We have adjusted the height as they have grown...come to think of it we need to move it up a couple more inches now.

We have built a second run with temp housing...when my husband builds the permenant coop I will need to order more.

Remember to lift the lid just a bit so air will get in!

Quote:
Thanks for the reminder about the lid. Actually, I plan to drill some small holes around the bucket near the top to handle that issue. My dearest husband is very helpful, but I have to keep things simple for him. If he has to remember to make sure the lid is not tight on top, he just won't want to be helpful!.

Thanks for the reminder about the lid. Actually, I plan to drill some small holes around the bucket near the top to handle that issue. My dearest husband is very helpful, but I have to keep things simple for him. If he has to remember to make sure the lid is not tight on top, he just won't want to be helpful!.

You only need one vaccum relief hole to the atmosphere. 1/16" is large enough in a 5 gallon bucket.
Why have a lot of large holes to let insects and other contaminanats in when you do not need it?​

I have 1 nipple for 4 hens in a 5 gallon buket that I fill 1/2 way and it lasts aweek I put a teaspoon of bleach in it. They love it and no mess. I hang mine in their tractor pen. U will love it too.
love.gif

Quote:
One nipple for four hens is enough unless the one nipple has a problem. If so your babies may do without water until you notice the problem. I also started with just one nipple then someone here brought that idea to my attention. Now I always have a minimum of 2 nipples. Just something to think about.

Quote:
You only need one vaccum relief hole to the atmosphere. 1/16" is large enough in a 5 gallon bucket.
Why have a lot of large holes to let insects and other contaminanats in when you do not need it?

Again, thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge! I was planning tiny holes (6-8), but if 1 will do the job, that's all I will do.

Love this board. Everyone is so helpful.

Back
Top Bottom