Nipple waterers and baby chicks? ..anybody doing this?

That sounds good. ..then graduate to nipple... or water cup.

I like it..

Just ordered some from Neil.

..so tired of dirty water for my babies!!

I put a little nipple watering system (screwed one screw-in type into a little empty mustard bottle), and hung it from the top. The chicks (4 days old), figured it out within an hour! I used this predominately until they were about 2 weeks, then set up a 1/2 gallon nipple water jug and 2 nipples (dollar store) hanging inside their grower house, and then a regular waterer outside, that I changed DAILY because they loved to sit on top, and then of course would poo in it!

Today, I just set the chickies (9 weeks) in their big fenced off pen, and set them up a 5 gallon bucket with 4 nipples screwed into the bottom, and hung it from a tree. When I get the big coop finished (2 weeks?), they will move in for roosting in there at night, and then I can move the 5 gallon bucket for inside the coop, and setting up a Little Giant Poultry Waterer for outside (over a little gravel pit with an upturned nursery flat underneath to keep them from making a muddy mess.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/49101_img_5157.jpg
My little peeps and their nipple waterer at night.
I look forward to NOT having a wet mess to clean up daily inside their coop!
big_smile.png

Make sure you use an 11/32 drill bit to make the holes, or you may have leaks! There are other post threads regarding the nipple water system, look them up, they really helped me.

wee.gif

OH!! I am really looking forward to getting those nipple waterers!!

clean water for the babies!!

wee.gif

thank you everybody!!

This is the first I've heard of using nipple waterers for birds. I'm also sick of the mess and poop in their water.

Would this work for ducks too? They're horribly messy with their water!

Thanks!!

Quote:
Yes, and no. They will use them (my ducks use the ones I set up for the chickens) but they ALSO need water deep enough for them to clear their nares. (Nostrils.) If they don't have water deep enough to put their heads into, after eating, they can have difficulty swallowing their feed.

I use rabbit water bottles for chicks and quail all the time. It takes about 2.3 seconds for them to figure it out. I've been meaning to get some nipple waterers to put on buckets for the big chickens.

What is the minimum and maximum water pressure required for the nipple waterers to work right? I'm assuming a pressure reducing valve is needed if you plumb them into a live water feeding system????

The UPS driver delivered my water nipples at about 8:30 tonight. I drilled a hole in a half gallon jug and hung it in the coop. After catching a few chicks and showing them the new water I gave them a treat of some left over beans. When they were done a few were in the area of the water so I tapped it a few times. A couple of chicks seemed curious enough and approached it and peck at it. Others examined the water below it that I made drip out. I will check the water level in the morning to make sure they got the hang of it ok.

Back
Top Bottom