Nipple waterers and baby chicks? ..anybody doing this?

I used them until they fell apart (a bit of a long story) and love them! The chicks take right to them because of the red color and their desire to peck. It made my work load much easier too not having to change the water several times a day like you pointed out. You won't be sorry that you went that direction.
smile.png

I finally upgraded my gravity waterer to a nipple for my girls in their brooder. Raising the dish kept it clean for a few weeks but now their scratching skills are nearing professional status so it's only a matter of seconds before their fresh water looks a day old.

I took an old drink/shaker bottle that the dog chewed around the threaded top and applied the push in nipple on the bottom. Forced the screw on lid and hung the bottle with some string and it works like a beauty. I can refill the bottle through the pop off drink spout when needed.

Took 5 minutes to get them to drink. They were really curious about the new addition at first while I was adjusting the height.

That is, right up until it fell out of my hands and fell two feet to the ground. Talk about chick-freakout! They acted like there was some feral creature trapped with them and were all going to die. So I figure if I hadn't dropped it, they would have been drinking in less than 2 minutes. Lulu the Buff Orp was the most curious while I kept tapping the tip to draw water out. Once she drank, I left them as is and checked back after wards to make sure each one were able to get a drink.

Absolutely love it.

I made waterers for my chicks in the brooder recently, by using gallon vinegar jugs and also a large gatorade bottle. I think you can use any food grade plastic bottle that is sturdy enough that you can drill the hole to fit the nipple and grommet into. My young chicks learned the first day to drink out of the nipples. Just hang it so the nipple is at the appropriate level for your chicks. What a relief to not have to deal with dirty, messy waterers!
wink.png

Nipples are definitely the way to go!
clap.gif
(Keeping in mind that the instructions suggest 1 nipple per 6 chickens)
D.gif

My hubby is now so excited about all we've done
ya.gif
that he wants to attach pvc pipe to the bucket and have them drink from that so that he can do a duplicate line under the hen house for them to access water in both places during the summer. Think I got him hooked!
gig.gif
shhhh.....next think ya know he'll be checkin out the message boards!
caf.gif

I am excited!!
don't know why I didn't try this before.

Thanks for all the info and advice!

Back
Top Bottom