Nipple waterers for chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AccioSarah, May 9, 2011.

1. AccioSarah

AccioSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    Just the simple questions: Can I use nipple waterers for chicks, or is it better to start them on a bowl type waterer then later teach them to use a nipple waterer when they move out to the coop?

My other chickens learned to use the waterer later just fine, so that's not a concern, but I just prefer the nipple waterers so much more, that it would be nice to just avoid the mess of a bowl waterer.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I started mine on nipples. I have mixed ages so I put in a 2-nipple bucket (used a 5-qt. ice cream bucket) and stuck a piece of 2x4 under one side so the littlest one could reach. They were started on something else by the breeder but I was certain they all had the nipple concept down within 30 minutes and were fully ignoring the little dish I'd put in for a JIC so I took it out. No issues here!

The funniest part is when you have several working on the same nipple at once (I've seen as many as 6 before!) and they're just beating the snot out of it but they seem completely content to do so.

ETA: and the box stays so very nice and DRY!

Last edited: May 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by