Nipple waterers in winter?

TheYLWFlock

Crowing
Apr 18, 2018
Kelowna, BC
So I water my flock with nipple waterers, and I’m just wondering what to do in winter, when temperatures get to below freezing? Do we have to get a heated water? Is there a such thing as baterry powered, because the coop doesn’t have a power source and we don’t have long enough extension cords torun out to the coop I don’t think....

Please let, me know what we can do!

So I water my flock with nipple waterers, and I’m just wondering what to do in winter, when temperatures get to below freezing? Do we have to get a heated water? Is there a such thing as baterry powered, because the coop doesn’t have a power source and we don’t have long enough extension cords torun out to the coop I don’t think....

Please let, me know what we can do!

I don't think it's a good idea for winter's becaz water will start freezing in the pipes so as in the nipples
Water heater is good I guess

Thanks! I read over it and I think that maybe I’ll get a black rubber bowl and then I can just put the Warner water in it. I have also read about insulating containers and wrapping them with things, as well as putting horse dung in a hole, and then putting the container in there and the horse dung heats the container as it decomposes...

If I were you I'd give the horse manure a try. It's probably the best choice if you don't want to have to water your birds at least twice a day. I'm 67 and afraid of falling and breaking something when I have to go out to water for the 5 months we have snow on the ground. I bought a long enough extension cord so my birds only need watered once a week.

Thank you! We ended up just buying a really long extension cord and getting this waterer:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I use a similar system to what you just bought but mine is homemade. I use a 10 gallon tote, horizontal nipples and a stock tank deicer. Only needs filled once a week and has stayed thawed down to -22 F. I think you will really like what you bought.

I use a similar system to what you just bought but mine is homemade. I use a 10 gallon tote, horizontal nipples and a stock tank deicer. Only needs filled once a week and has stayed thawed down to -22 F. I think you will really like what you bought.
Yes. Think it will end up being for the best in the long run! It’s been very cold and dark and rainy lately, and I really don’t want to be outside early in the morning everyday, filling up water. But of course I want them to have clea, fresh water, so I think this is a good investement.

Back
Top Bottom