Nipple waterers with 5 gallon bucket

Quote:
Do you have these attached to a bucket or with a pressure regulator?

I really want to try those cup drinkers but with a bucket.. can't run a PVC line out to where the pens are.

Quote:
Anybody have a clever way to keep one of these from freezing in the winter?

Or the cup drinkers with the 5 gal bucket. If I keep the water in the bucket from freezing, is that enough to keep the hose and cups liquid, too? It'll hit -20 here, but not usually for more than a couple days at a time....

i would buy like a 3 gal hanging waterer because they are better and eaiser for them to use in my opinion any other opinions????
D.gif

I have 6 chickens and 1 nipple water system. I got them from Mr Grassbaugh who posted earlier. They have been great and easy to use/install. Here is a picture of mine.

82702_dsc_0005_3.jpg

82702_dsc_0007.jpg

I still want to get these for our chicks. I got 2 one gallon waters (the regular chicken kind) and 2 feeders, large ones from a friend for $25.00, but they still like the rabbit bottle that I have on the run fence. I know they would love the watering nipples because the drink out of the water bottle more than the actual waters. If I could get water bottles bigger, that would be good too.

Quote:
Neil, you are correct, and I wish I had seen this before I put the five nipples in the bucket for just six chickens. I ordered more nipples last night thinking I want to put one in the coop. I had more than enough to begin with!

Going to rethink what I did and might do 3 for the run bucket and 2 for the coop bucket. Or just simply 2 and 2.

Have to say this is much better than the plastic waterer we had before with the gunk that would get in there in just a few hours. The double wall in the coop is a pain to clean and fill every day too. The nipples are the way to go. Just have to get the proper amount of them down pat.

Quote:
Anybody have a clever way to keep one of these from freezing in the winter?

Or the cup drinkers with the 5 gal bucket. If I keep the water in the bucket from freezing, is that enough to keep the hose and cups liquid, too? It'll hit -20 here, but not usually for more than a couple days at a time....

I wish I had an answer for you on this, hopefully someone with more experience will reply. This is my first time with chicks and this type of waterer so I am going to need to figure something out for winter too.

If it is possible, you can add on a compartment to your coop so that your waterer bucket is inside the coop and the watererer cups are insude too. Then if you keep your coop heated, it should keep from freezing. They do make heaters that you can put inside the bucket if it is still too cold.

I set up a 5 gallon bucket with 3 nipples on it, but my girls have yet to take a drink. I've taken them to it, jiggled the nipple to try to show them that water comes out of it, and many other comical things to get the picture across to them. No luck. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom