Nipple waterers with 5 gallon bucket

Quote:
Do you have these attached to a bucket or with a pressure regulator?

I really want to try those cup drinkers but with a bucket.. can't run a PVC line out to where the pens are.

We used the cups on cages with a bucket. Just get the flexible tubing and attach the cups to it. T's are available so more than one can be hooked up. You do have to buy the clips to hold the cups in the right position or figure out another way. My son actually came up with a great way with some clip-like things we already had.

Quote:
Neil, you are correct, and I wish I had seen this before I put the five nipples in the bucket for just six chickens. I ordered more nipples last night thinking I want to put one in the coop. I had more than enough to begin with!

Going to rethink what I did and might do 3 for the run bucket and 2 for the coop bucket. Or just simply 2 and 2.

Have to say this is much better than the plastic waterer we had before with the gunk that would get in there in just a few hours. The double wall in the coop is a pain to clean and fill every day too. The nipples are the way to go. Just have to get the proper amount of them down pat.

Today it hit 97 degrees and I observed 4 chickens under the bucket each using their own nipple. Go figure.

Our golden comets have really felt the heat today with one of the largest having her mouth open and wings held slightly off her body. Any suggestions as it is going to get hotter tomorrow?

Quote:
I could probably at least make a wind break under the coop (it's up on the run)..... I've seen the heaters that go inside buckets, but at -10F or -20F even if the water in the bucket is not frozen, the water in the tubing sure would be!

Our golden comets have really felt the heat today with one of the largest having her mouth open and wings held slightly off her body. Any suggestions as it is going to get hotter tomorrow?

Lots of shade, a dirt base for them to dig in, and lots of water. If they need more, add a fan blowing on them. If you are in a high humidity area. misting will not help.
Down here we have had heat indexes in the 105 degree range most of last week and my BO's have done fine with no fan. As mentioned, shade, dirt & water is what
you need. Forget the ice in the water etc. etc.

big_smile.png

Quote:
Lots of shade, a dirt base for them to dig in, and lots of water. If they need more, add a fan blowing on them. If you are in a high humidity area. misting will not help.
Down here we have had heat indexes in the 105 degree range most of last week and my BO's have done fine with no fan. As mentioned, shade, dirt & water is what
you need. Forget the ice in the water etc. etc.

big_smile.png

It was a hot and humid 97 today. Heat index was 104. Brought out the fan and aimed it on the run. When I got home from work they were standing in front of it. It was hilarious. The fan seemed to work well and is a lot easier than trying anything else.

The run is dirt with a layer of sand and pine shavings. They do dig holes in the dirt and lie down when it is hot.

I love these! (ETA: The nipples. I haven't tried the cups.
smile.png
) I'm using a 2-gallon bucket in my little 4x4 coop with my chicks; any larger would be a waste of water for me right now. I made two so that I can switch them out and rinse them.
80987_img_7299.jpg

I gave them a hamster waterer in their brooder when they were about a week and a half old, so they took to the nipple quickly. It's worked very well. The water stays clean and cool, and the only wetness is from drops they "spill." I just take about a handful of damp shavings out each morning when I put in a fresh layer. I took a few pictures of the process and put them on my blog here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom