NitePagan Here!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NitePagan, Jul 22, 2013.

1. NitePagan

NitePagan In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    I have been watching BYC for several years, contemplating whether to get chickens or not. Still have to make the commitment.

My neighbor got 12 barred plymouth rocks a couple years ago. Now they are down to 3 chickens and they went out and got a rooster, to defend the 3 that are left or they want to incubate some new chickens, sounds like inbreeding to me. Since the neighbor refuses to mow their yard, the chickens are constantly in my yard, now the rooster is spending most of his spare time, and he has a lot of time to spare, in my yard crowing near my front door. The issue has boiled down to my dog is a bit fearful of confrontation, I walk him on a leash in the yard. So, am contemplating what to do about this.

I am retired living in rural Maine on 2 acres, so the fact that I can have chickens is no big deal. Do I fence these chickens out of my yard or what? That is the debate now going on. Looks like some fencing is in the future. Am rethinking maybe getting some chickens.

I am currently building a greenhouse, doing some of the framing in pieces and later will put it together. Am thinking about turning it into a chicken house, Just have to build a floor for it and add a yard for the chickens. Will get chickens in the spring.

Just some ideas, I am toying with. Of course I will raise chickens for eggs.

2. liz9910

liz9910 Crowing

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Hi, welcome to BYC! Unfortunately the only way to keep the neighbor's chickens out of your yard is to put up a fence.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, NitePagan, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Best of luck with your construction efforts and chickens!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good fences make for good neighbors. Welcome to BYC. Sounds as if predators have taken the toll on your neighbor's flock. Build a Fort Knox type coop and run.

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree with Sourland - they lost their chickens to predators and when their flock is gone the preds will be looking in your yard. Hopefully they won't replace their flock - doesn't seem like the rooster is protecting his hens either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: