NJ - Sussex County Poultry Fanciers Annual Spring Show

OK, Highpoint, I forwarded it to you.
Mary, one less thing for you to do
wink.png

Thanks Roberta =] No i have not tested them... Do I have to? Where can I do it?

Thank you, my lady, for taking care of this gentleman!!

Yes, pullorum testing is required for all shows in NJ, and pretty much every other state I've been to. Unfortunately, I can never find the right number, but you can call the USDA's veterinary Services @ 609-259-5260. They can give you the names of testers that can come test your birds for pullorum.

I have had my birds tested in 2 different states, both no charge.
It is for everyone's protection, and it is why we pay taxes.
However, it is harder in NYS to get them tested, it is usually only once a year before fair season.
On Long Island, I believe it was August, at the Old Bethpage Village Restoration. The state holds a clinic there.
I know people that bring them to a vet for testing. That was expensive.
And when I go to Delaware, I just stop at the Agriculture Dept, it's on the way to the show.
Delaware is much stricter with their poultry industry, as they had an outbreak a few years ago.

Mary, you need to see if we could get a clinic set up before the show, we would have a much bigger turnout.
And every bird would be legal
wink.png

We could have a contribution fund for testing supplies, and some could go back to the club.

I do have the contact info for the gal that does the testing on LI, but due to NYS rules, she wouldn't come unless I wanted to become NPIP.

Perhaps contact the Dept of Ag, to see if there is someone closer to you?

Test results are good for 1 year.
It is a pita, but well worth it.

Just had contact with a pullorum tester near the show. She is checking on how much antigen she has, to see if it's possible to have a clinic at the show!!

Since May 19th is a saturday, I might be able to drag my dad along with my mom to the show. Saturday is the day he normally takes off, yes he typically works six days a week; when he is able to take the whole weekend off we celebrate.
wee.gif

Question: for the non-showing/non-selling people, people just coming to see a bunch of lovely chickens and other poultry, what times is best to be there? Like is there something going on all the time or is there timed events, when are the chicken/poultry awards done? I know I would love to spend the whole day there, but I'm not sure what my parents would think about that.
smack.gif
I want to be sure I can keep them entertained, well mom isn't that hard keeping entertained, it's just if my dad is coming with us that it really matters (we like say/joke that he has a case of undiagnosed ADHD with the way that he sometimes can't hold his attention on anything that long).

Quote: Loki, it is usually best to get there by 10am. Judging starts at 9am, but the exhibitors are still running around settling stuff after the rush of the morning. from 10-2, it's usually pretty relaxing, with lots of people you can talk to. Just make sure to stay out of the aisle the judge is in! A lot of people ignore this, but that is rude, so don't do it yourself.

1:30 or so is the ticket auction, and the final judging is usually finished by about 2:30 - 3. It depends on how many entries we get. Awards can be anywhere from 3-4:30, again, depending on how many entries. The only "thing" going on during the day are the activities for Junior exhibitors. If this is something you might consider getting into, ask for Teresa McGayhey - they'll point her out to you. Or, find me and I'll find her for you. Ask at the show table for each of us.

I usually post what I'll be wearing at the show on the Thursday or Friday before, so you can look for me that way. Pick up an exhibitor list, and bring a pen. You can walk around the show and make a notation of whose birds you like by matching their name to their exhibitor number on the cage card. Their contact info is on the list. frequently, the phone number on the list is their cell phone, so you can call them to meet you right there, which is always great. People always love to talk about their birds.

You know, the town of Lafayette is about five minutes from the fairgrounds, and has a number of wonderful antique shops and boutiques - your folks could drop you off at the show and hang out there for the day, so your dad won't get bored. Of course, I never feel the show is long enough - there's so much to learn from so many people, and never enough time to do it. Indianapolis was three days, and I still feel like I missed people.

Back
Top Bottom