no animal by- product feed- help please!

minnesotachicken

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 25, 2010
South Metro
I want to switch to organic feed or feed w/o animal by products. It seems noone around here carries it. Where does everyone get theirs? Do I need to mix my own?

I hear the brain and CNS of pigs, cattle is all ground into the feed, and can cause serious disease (ie- mad cow disease) by feeding it to chickens, which can pass to humans by ingesting eggs/ meat that had been fed this food. Beside the antibiotics these pigs/ cattle had been given pass through into eggs/ meat.

My local feed mill uses animal byproducts~which usually means ground up chicken feathers~in their feeds, so I don't buy from them. When I have to buy from them, I usually just get bags of whole grains and mix my own feeds and provide a bag of oyster shell for the added calcium.

Usually I can buy the right feeds from Southern States feed stores.

Is it really important to you that your feed is vegetarian, or just that it doesn't contain random animal parts?

I use an organic feed that contains fish meal, and my chickens do great on it. I personally don't like the idea of soy as the main protein source (for chickens OR humans), so I don't buy Purina anymore - though I'm sure you'll hear from others whose chickens do fine on it.

Chickens are Omnivores and need to have some source of animal protein in the main diet. The main two types of animal protein used in poultry feed are Porcine and Fish Meal.
I don't know any manufacture that uses Bovine byproducts in the feed mixes. (Swine or poultry).

Chris

Sorry- I should've been more clear.....

I know chickens are omnivores- They caught a baby sparrow outside yesterday and chased eachother around fighting over it! I WILL ensure that they have animal protein sources
smile.png
I am NOT okay with commercially prepared feed as the byprouducts are contaminated with antibiotics, growth hormones, and the Central Nervous Systems of the animals are included in the feed. This is all passed on to humans when chickens are used for layers or meat. The fish meal is definitely okay! I have read how soy can actually be dangerous when used in larger quantities.

Quote:
Thanks SmittenChicken! I think I am on the same page as you! What brand do you buy? Or do you mix? Does anyone know where you can buy
fish meal so it can be mixed in?

Quote:
Thanks SmittenChicken! I think I am on the same page as you! What brand do you buy? Or do you mix? Does anyone know where you can buy
fish meal so it can be mixed in?

I would also like to buy some fishmeal where could I buy it to mix in?

Henry

Quote:
Where are you getting this information at? Because that is so untrue...

I haven't heard about any place using a "Growth Hormone" on animals intended for a food sores and if I am not mistaking most if not all antibiotics have a with draw date of 10 to 30 days.

So that you know most if not all fish that is processed to make Fish Meal are farm raised fish...

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom