No Chickens Allowed (Yet) - How to prepare

petitor

Chirping
Jun 5, 2017
La belle province
Hello BYC,

I signed up for this forum in anticipation of a cross-country move where I could choose a living situation that permitted chickens. Unfortunately, although I am blessed to have found shelter that I can afford that is also reasonably close to work, I am unable to have chickens on my current property. While disappointing, I'm trying to look for positives and perhaps I could use this time to learn more about chicken-keeping. Aside from reading the forums, do any BYCers have suggestions of ways to gain practical skills that will help me when I do get chickens in the future?

Thank you in advance for any ideas you might share!

Did you rent or buy? If the former, you can always look forward to a move that will put you in an area zoned for poultry. If the latter, perhaps you can work towards legally changing the zoning ordinances to allow a small back yard flock.

Read the many articles in the learning center. Beef up your skills handling power tools so you can build your own awesome coop. Start a garden. Chickens and gardens go together like peas and carrots. However, chickens DO NOT belong in a growing garden!!!

Hello BYC,

I signed up for this forum in anticipation of a cross-country move where I could choose a living situation that permitted chickens. Unfortunately, although I am blessed to have found shelter that I can afford that is also reasonably close to work, I am unable to have chickens on my current property. While disappointing, I'm trying to look for positives and perhaps I could use this time to learn more about chicken-keeping. Aside from reading the forums, do any BYCers have suggestions of ways to gain practical skills that will help me when I do get chickens in the future?

Thank you in advance for any ideas you might share!
Learn all you can about chicken sicknesses. (I'm in the same boat as you. :( ) find out prevailing wind directions for where you plan to live especially in the winter so you know which side to put your vents on. In QC you'll probably have winds similar to NS with the big storms in the winter coming either from the west or south. you would want your vents to face away from that. I guess you've picked out a coop already. :confused: for some reason that's all I can think of at the moment. :p I'm sure more will come to me.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I purchased as the rentals that were available on the dates that worked for the move didn't allow for a garden and I wanted to at least be able to grow things =). It looks like the next move will be in summer 2020 (military) so I'm not sure that I'd be able to get laws changed in time to get chickens (although that would be a lovely legacy to leave behind).

Back
Top Bottom