No Chickens Yet in So Cal

jtburch

In the Brooder
May 16, 2021
Hi all,

I'm a new member in Sothern California. Just getting started and all I really have done is read about it and talked to a few people that have chickens in the area. Lately most of our eggs come from local backyard chickens. My wife and I had a couple of chickens about 20 years ago but when we went on vacation they died while being taken care of by a neighbor. I have always wanted to give it a try again. I love the idea of being able to raise them and get our own eggs. We have a vegetable garden that produces some of what we eat and this would be a great addition. I would love to move to a home with a couple of acres but can't get the wife to budge.

My wife and I are retired, helped along by Covid, but neither one of us is upset. So we will have time to care and enjoy the chickens. Along with the chickens I love Volkswagens and model railroading, but right now its mostly remodeling and redoing portions of the house. Right now most of my time is spent doing one form or another of construction. We have a pool in our backyard and almost no green space which is a concern. The area I want to make a home for the chickens is a side yard between the house and a block wall. Its open on both ends and there is about 120 sq ft, I think enough room for 4 to 6 hens, maybe more? Right now I am just learning and reading. That's how I found BYC. Internet search. I'm sure I will have a lot more questions and I am looking forward to learning as much as I can from all you experts out there.

Thank you for the help

Jeff B

Back
Top Bottom