No clue what to do w/ a chick

Ilovemyladies!

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
Hills of Kentucky
I have a Old English Game/Jersey Giant chick (Almost 6 wks) in a broody pen w/ the mother. She does NOT bear confinement well. Could I put the chick in with 4wk old Wyandotte/Rhode Island Red chicks? The 6wk old is almost 2x the size of the 4wk old though. Or could I put the mama and chick in the big coop with 6 older hens and two juvenile roos.I have no clue what to do
idunno.gif

Since you still have them penned together, would I be right to assume your broody is still looking after the chick? If she's still protecting it, then I would move both of them to the roost with the other birds in the coop when it gets dark. As long as you have plenty of space and hiding places it should be fine. I would try putting it in with the younger chicks as a last resort, but they may even be fine together since the bigger bird is outnumbered. If one doesn't work, try the other. Good luck!

I put 8 wk old red pullets in the coop b4 and the older chickens killed them but since the chick has it's mother then I guess it would be safe. Though sometimes when I let the Mama and chick out to free range she will just abandon it but sometimes she will stay right with it and protect it from the other chickens. So I'll try and put them in the coop and I will post what happens in the morning
smile.png
Thanks!!!!!

When I put the Mama and baby in the big coop she went up to roost and left the baby even when it was calling for her. So I placed it in w/ the other chicks and it started to bully them! So I just decided to put them both back in the broody pen for another wk until it's a little bigger so it can be in the big coop.

Back
Top Bottom