1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No comb...hen or roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CheekyMare, Nov 24, 2011.

1. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

I know it's a frazzle but a guess on breed wouldn't go awry. I didn't breed it, just ended up with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Well, honestly, I think the question is premature. Most breeds that have rose-, walnut-, strawberry-, and peacombs show little - no sign of any sort of comb at this age (I assume this bird is about a month -1 1/2 months old). Also, since you didn't breed this bird, you have no reason to assume that it is purebred. But that's not a bad thing at all. But since it may be a mutt, you have to also consider traits it may have that will make it difficult to sex. It seems to be Gypsy-faced (the face skin is purple - black), which often makes hens look like babies and rooster look like young hens. There are a few common breeds that carry this gene (Sebrights and certain OEGs come to mind). Also the Sebright and the Hamburg are henny-feathered (Roos have no Sickle, saddle, or hackle feathers, making them look like hens). And then, my guess would be It has Naked Neck blood. Cochins, Pekins, and NNs are the only breeds were frizzling is common. And out of those three, the NN is the only one that doesn't have the feather-legged gene in it. Plus, your bird seems to have a naked neck. So I would guess if it's a bantam: Sebright X Frizzle NN. If it's large size: Frizzle NN X Hamburg. If none of this helps, and it grows up and you still can't tell, there is always one certain way to tell what gender it is: wait for it to mate. But I hope all this helps and you don't have to wait that long.

3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

roo !!

4. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for all the info. Reasonably certain the only PB chickens in the whole country are the Hubbards and Hy-Lines for meat and eggs. Every thing else is *Local*. It walks like a roo, but kinda looks like a hen. I haven't ever seen it spar with all the other roo chicks which makes me wonder.(they spar constantly)

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I can't get over how silly they look at this age!!!

I say pullet. I'm being optimistic [​IMG]

6. partsRheavy

partsRheavy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Some sort of frizzled girl. Keep her - she will be cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by