No crow collar help

PoppySeedy

Chirping
May 14, 2021
I'm new to this site and I think this is the right forum to put this on- anyway, my rooster has a no crow collar (I wish he didn't need it but we like in a urban area, we are planning to move to a house with land soon though) and recently we've been having a problem where it won't stop his crow but it makes him uncomfortable when he does his aerial alarm call (he sort of throws his head back like when they first adjust to the collar)
To anyone with a roo with a rooster collar, have you had this happen with yours? Is it normal, and if not why is it happening?

No crow collars can actually cut off air supply to the rooster, which is why a lot of people here don't use them. They've actually killed more roosters then they've helped, unfortunately.

The alarm calling is likely because he isn't getting enough oxygen/can't breathe.

No crow collars can actually cut off air supply to the rooster, which is why a lot of people here don't use them. They've actually killed more roosters then they've helped, unfortunately.

The alarm calling is likely because he isn't getting enough oxygen/can't breathe.
Thank you for letting me know, sadly as much as I want to have his collar off forever my family tell me every day that it needs to be on or he'll be taken away. It never used to stop the alarm, its only recently, so do you think its a positioning issue? He's lost a lot of feathers on his neck so I'm thinking its pushed it down too far? Any ideas?

The important thing with no crow collars is they need to be lower on the neck (I believe it's the voice box) to be effective and not hurt the bird. I did a Velcro strap on my silkie Cockerel for awhile. No, it does not stop them from crowing but it does lessen the volume of the crow. It affected the sound a tiny bit. He sounded a bit like a dove/pigeon (and about the same volume). You push the feathers out of the way of the collar and make sure you have space for a finger (usually the pinky is recommended). You check it often to make sure it's not too tight. I ended up culling this Cockerel for other reasons (he was not nice to the ladies) but I'm glad I tried this method.

The important thing with no crow collars is they need to be lower on the neck (I believe it's the voice box) to be effective and not hurt the bird. I did a Velcro strap on my silkie Cockerel for awhile. No, it does not stop them from crowing but it does lessen the volume of the crow. It affected the sound a tiny bit. He sounded a bit like a dove/pigeon (and about the same volume). You push the feathers out of the way of the collar and make sure you have space for a finger (usually the pinky is recommended). You check it often to make sure it's not too tight. I ended up culling this Cockerel for other reasons (he was not nice to the ladies) but I'm glad I tried this method.
Thank you! I've had a collar for a while so I know how they're supposed to go on, however I'm just recently having issues. Im going to look at rooster anatomy and see where the voice box is and try and match the height on his neck to that, thank you for the help!

The voice box is right inside the chest just below the neck, so you need to position the collar right there at the base of the neck/top of the shoulders. Put it under the feathers so that they don't make it tighter than it needs to be and so that they help keep it in place.

ETA: Also, if you don't already feed a crumble, I'd suggest switching to one.

Back
Top Bottom