no crow collars

@ Becky HENsen

Yes, you can leave it on 24x7. It has velcro strips and flexible webbing in between strips. One day I did take it off to give him a break for an hour. He has those new feathers coming in around his neck and I like to help scratch them for him.

So after you get it tightened, I would go and check the neck feathers at least once a week. Then replace and tighten collar.

So to follow up, the No Crow collar does work for my boy
celebrate.gif
The trick is working with it and pulling it a little tighter each time to get a volume you can live with and making sure he can still do all other functions. First I assessed his breathing, then made sure he could eat and swallow, then turned him loose. He is now no louder than the girls and it does not appear to bother him at all. Unfortunately his newest trick is to fly over the 6 foot fence,
barnie.gif
so it may be time to rehome anyways. Don't give up on the collar, it takes some patience but it did work for me.

The problem I have with my roo is he keeps taking it off! Maybe I'm not putting it on tight enough? I'm nervous it's going to choke him :( I put it it on him today and he obviously tried to get it off and eventually (3 hours later) succeeded. Well, I put it on again about an hour before his bedtime and put him in the coop. Wish me luck! This is the first time we are trying overnight. I am nervous for many reasons, and hope to God it works because I LOVE my rooster! I just can't have any noise complaints and honestly can't keep running downstairs everyday at 5 am!!!

Last edited:
@ Becky HENsen It doesn't sound like you are making it tight enough on your roo.

What worked for me after trial and error was lifting up the neck feathers under the head and placing the collar lower on the neck almost to the crop. Then making it snug. I did have to get another person to help hold, while I tightened.

HE ran backwards and tried to get our of it. But the feathers that you lift up will actually lay down over the top of the collar and that will help hold in place better.

Before I wasnt' putting enough feathers out to help keep it in place and make it tight enough. Of course you should watch him for a few minutes and make sure he is able to do chicken things.

Good luck!

@ Becky HENsen It doesn't sound like you are making it tight enough on your roo.

What worked for me after trial and error was lifting up the neck feathers under the head and placing the collar lower on the neck almost to the crop. Then making it snug. I did have to get another person to help hold, while I tightened. 

HE ran backwards and tried to get our of it. But the feathers that you lift up will actually lay down over the top of the collar and that will help hold in place better.

Before I wasnt' putting enough feathers out to help keep it in place and make it tight enough. Of course you should watch him for a few minutes and make sure he is able to do chicken things.

Good luck!
. Thanks for the help! Wish me luck on take 2

OK guys. I put the collar on Kramer last night. He must have remembered how made I was the last time we tried it (when he ran me all over creation and back) because he barley even put up a struggle this time around. I actually put it on him by myself, which I thought was a nice added touch from Kramer, since I had brought reinforcements in the form of 2 neighborhood delinquents with me to help. After they saw how easygoing Kramer was with the whole thing, they smirked and laughed at me like I was crazy for telling them about the chase that ensued the last time I tried to put it on him! That's ok though, from what I hear, delinquent neighborhood kids don't steal from crazy ladies, so the fortune in change I buried in mason jars in the back yard is still safe...lol !!! Anyway, after I put Kramer back down on the ground, he didn't really do anything different. He sure did look different, though. His neck feathers looked like someone tried to open up an umbrella under them, they were so puffed out by the collar !!!
So this morning I still heard him crow, but he did wait until about 3:45 AM !!! It sounded a little 'muted' too. I let him run around with it on loosely all day and now I'm going to go out and tighten it up a bit before he starts his 'calling all hens' crow at 5 PM. I'll let you know how it goes from there.
...to be continued...
D.gif

So my little guy Kramer is still sporting the NC neck wear. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen him strut so proudly. And from what I hear, the ladies are rather fond of his new attire also...lol !!! He never freaked out, never walked backwards, never even tried to get it off! I've been tightening it once a day for two days now and he can still crow but it is softer sounding. Since he can no longer draw in as big of a breath, his crows are reduced in frequency and duration as well. I'd give it a 7 out of 10, maybe an 8 if when after I tighten it for the final time tomorrow he's even quieter than he is now. And if that's the case, I'm going to buy two more for my other roosters and maybe one for my mother in law too...lol !!!
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom