No Crowing Yet?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ratzy, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Ratzy

Ratzy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    My big boy is around six months old, and I still haven't heard any crowing yet?
    When do they start crowing?
    The neighbour's roo is very noisy, could that be connected?
    Or have I just got a quiet one?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    there's no way of knowing... i have some that crow at 4 weeks... i hear of some people saying that they don't crow for up to a year...

3. Kickin' Chickin'

Kickin' Chickin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Upstate New York
    My EE roo has not made one peep , not one noise that resembles a crow . He's 20 weeks and the only noise he makes is a "mumble" noise to the girls . Almost like he's whispering. Never saw him mate any either yet I have fertilized eggs.... go figure! Some just fly under the radar.

4. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I have 2 roos. One started crowing when he was 11 weeks, the other didn't until he was around 6 months. My guess is he will crow sooner or later.

5. gardner11

gardner11 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    :cool:Believe it or not, I have a pullet that has been crowing since she-yes I said SHE-has been crowing since she was 3 weeks old. I've told this story before and even I couldn't believe it myself. You can see a picture of her on my uploads. I got her from TSC when I got my first chicks a month or so ago. She was in the Americauna chicks bin but I knew she wasn''t of that breed. She looks like a barred pullet and she is much bigger than the Americaunas now. When I got my 2 year old Japanese bantams she attacked the roo and his mate(especially his mate) until one day last week when the roo whooped her fuzzy butt a couple of times. Now they all roost together at night and she no longer crows. Morning everyone from Conroe, Texas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by