No egg left in nest box today!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by henney, Jan 7, 2009.

1. henney

henney Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Reno Nevada
    I noticed my Pullet Americauna in the nest box this morning but left no egg. She has been laying a green egg for the past two weeks, not every day tho. Is this normal for them to just go in and nest without laying?

2. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I have a hen that will never lay her eggs in the box but does in there to sleep...it's a horrible habit, but she doesn't make to much of a mess in there so I don't mind to much.

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I've had that happen on occasion. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Break her of the habit.. if she has a usual spot, cover the nest box or leave her out for a few days if there are not predators present.

5. henney

henney Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Reno Nevada
    Henney is sitting in the nest box again this morning. I'm curious if she'll lay a egg today. This is the first time I've seen all three nest box's occupied at once! Busy morning.

6. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

She might not have liked ya catching her in the act. Plus if she's a pullet, maybe she is still working out the kinks of getting the laying thing down proper.

Unless she acts listless or eggbound, I wouldn't worry about it.

A few of my pullets laid at odd intervals for a week or two before getting it on a steady schedule.

one other thing to look for, not sure if you have a roo or not, but my roo (they free range) likes to show the hens new places to hide the eggs [​IMG]. I caught him once herding two hens into my husband's tool shed, they were laying behind some windows hubby had leaned against the back wall.

naughty boy!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by