No eggs and no ducks

Jun 2, 2023
Ontario,Canada
Good morning
I have a couple of things going on.
First, I introduced my goslings to their mother and she hasn't laid an egg since.
I've searched the yard, followed her around all morning and put a camera out to see if she slips off to hide one but nothing. She was hiding them when the babies were inside and just out for visits but as soon as she had them full-time. Nothing. Also, She's decided the ducks are out. They were all friends but she chases them off now, and has taught 2 babies to do the same. They've never caught one but I can't put them together anymore.
Sooo, I built a new coop just for the ducks and they refuse to go in. They sleep under my bedroom window at night. I wouldn't mind but we have a cougar and coyotes as well as a pretty bold fox. So I'm really scared to lose them. Oh but this morning when I couldn't find 2 and was having a mini heart attack...they were in the coop getting the bribes from the night before. So they're just being brats.
(I did pick everyone up individually and pop them in the first 2 nights. I am WAY too old for chasing ducks at night)

I have to keep my geese separated from my ducks too.
way too old to chase ducks at night - haha- i hear you!
well you were able to build a coop so I believe you can build a fencing system that funnels the ducks into their coop. and then all you need is a couple of pool noodles :)

this is a crude drawing of one of my duck pens , it's about 2000 sq ft. they have two more pens also and I open all the gates and let them use all three during the day unless I have somebody separated. But before I feed them dinner, I wave some pool noodles , shake the food container, and quack loudly to get them all over into this pen for the last hour or so before bed.

the triangles represent various things such as small trees, bushes, tables, big chairs, kids playhouses, patio umbrellas, kids slides, etc ( obstacles and hiding places for shade and hawk protection)
I added a small section of fence from the front of the duck house to the outer fence of the duck pen with a gate that I leave open during the day, but at bedtime I close that gate , grab a couple pool noodles, and wave them as I walk around the pen in the direction of the arrows. This funnels all the ducks into their house.
Now, if I wait long enough for it to get a little darker they will all go in by themselves, but I try to do it a little sooner than dark, so this is my way.
the 2 chickens go into their house on their own shortly after, and then I herd my geese over to their house. whew.
this may not be practical in your situation i know it depends on where the coop is located how big their pen is how much fencing you have to work with, etc.

Attachments

• 9045643C-D193-4893-8526-608139D8AA05.jpeg
    9045643C-D193-4893-8526-608139D8AA05.jpeg
    628.6 KB · Views: 5
this is a crude drawing of one of my duck pens , it's about 2000 sq ft. they have two more pens also and I open all the gates and let them use all three during the day unless I have somebody separated. But before I feed them dinner, I wave some pool noodles , shake the food container, and quack loudly to get them all over into this pen for the last hour or so before bed.

the triangles represent various things such as small trees, bushes, tables, big chairs, kids playhouses, patio umbrellas, kids slides, etc ( obstacles and hiding places for shade and hawk protection)
I added a small section of fence from the front of the duck house to the outer fence of the duck pen with a gate that I leave open during the day, but at bedtime I close that gate , grab a couple pool noodles, and wave them as I walk around the pen in the direction of the arrows. This funnels all the ducks into their house.
Now, if I wait long enough for it to get a little darker they will all go in by themselves, but I try to do it a little sooner than dark, so this is my way.
the 2 chickens go into their house on their own shortly after, and then I herd my geese over to their house. whew.
this may not be practical in your situation i know it depends on where the coop is located how big their pen is how much fencing you have to work with, etc.
No fencing for us. We have a large property away from any roads and they don't go far from me. Whatever area of the property I'm in geese and ducks and dogs are no more 10 ft away. I have to set up pools where I'm working or they won't use them. The neighbors laugh and say they can always find me now. They follow the gang of animals.
The coop is further away from my house now. I wonder if that's it?
Pool noodles are genius. I just run around doing "goose arms" Yell "it's time for bed" in sing song then progressively more angry.

No fencing for us. We have a large property away from any roads and they don't go far from me. Whatever area of the property I'm in geese and ducks and dogs are no more 10 ft away. I have to set up pools where I'm working or they won't use them. The neighbors laugh and say they can always find me now. They follow the gang of animals.
The coop is further away from my house now. I wonder if that's it?
Pool noodles are genius. I just run around doing "goose arms" Yell "it's time for bed" in sing song then progressively more angry.
can you walk into your duck house? maybe they will follow you in!! 😆

Its funny they love me but act terrified of me lol. I have to walk them up then stand back or they think I'm gonna grab them or something. Geese nor duck will enter a small space with me.

. I am WAY too old for chasing ducks at night
Yup. This is why I got rid of all my ducks. My geese are much easier (but not perfect) to get into their pen at night.

@Jenbirdee your idea to build the fencing in such a way to funnel them in is genius. The main problem with my ducks was that half of them would go in through the door and the other half would split off and go past. Then to try to get that half back to the door would cause the first half to all run out of the pen to join them.

A lot of us have to just work with the setup that already exists. But on my next property, I’m going to consider if there could be a way to arrange the coops, pens and fences so that they can be funneled in.

Back
Top Bottom