No eggs and One Broody

CaliBlueChicken

Songster
10 Years
Jul 18, 2009
SF Bay Area
Hello,
So my hens have not layed any eggs for about.... ummm... well it seems like it was august. I was wondering if they had worms... but I am not sure. Now they have been molting for what seems like a while and I suspect that is the reason for no eggs. They are Blue Orpingtons and Wydonette mixes, one group is 5 months and the other are about 15 months (the 15 month ones are molting). They seem a bit under wieght (the 15month olds) I am going to the feed store tommorrow to get some BOSS and flock starter. I read on a post that those were good for molting. How long is the molting process? Is it due to less day light hours?

Next question... I have one hen, not laying any eggs but has been broody for like a month!!! She won't come out of the nest box, only once a day to exercize and eat, drink or if I go in and take her out. Should I just leave her alone? Is it okay?

Thanks in advance.

WOW! This would make sense "How long will a chicken molt
Under natural circumstances a chicken will molt for 14 to 16 weeks during the late summer or early fall. The more prolific layers will start their molt early and molt very slowly. This is why some birds will look unthrifty for a time while this is taking place. For more information on molting and many other chicken questions see Guide to Raising Chickens." http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/faqhowlongwilla.html

I
just did a search for how long a chicken molts, if this is true then this would make sense on why I havent seen and egg in so long!

That's probably what is going on. Switching to flockraiser or gamebird or grower--whatever higher protien feed is available in your area-- will help them get thru it a bit quicker and in better shape. It takes a lot of protien to grow feathers so supplementing thier diet with higher protien feed and treats help. I give min a can of fish every so often too. We fish a lot and I can it so anytime a jar cracks during canning it becomes chook food.

As far as your broody girl goes there are different opinions on that. Many people just let them alone, most of the time they'll give it up eventually. I prefer to break mine if I don't want them to hatch or foster chicks. They don't take very good care of themselves when they are broody and can be a bit more vulnerable to parasites because of this, plus they can get pretty run down and I don't think it's good for them. I put mine in a elevated wire bottom rabbit hutch with food and water, but nothing to make a nest out of. It usually only takes a couple of days before they snap out of it and can go back with the rest of the flock.

Thanks Kittymomma,
Yes I was worried that being broody so long would effect her health, and she hasn't been laying, so she is setting on nothnig wasting energy. I will try the cage thing and see if it works. In fact maybe I will put her up in the run with just a box to sleep in no shavings and see if that does it.

Back
Top Bottom