No eggs for a week then one GIGANTIC broken Egg.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Twin Chicks, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Twin Chicks

Twin Chicks New Egg

Jun 22, 2010
    I have 2 Easter Egger hens that started laying about a month ago. We have consistently gotten at least one green egg from either of them every day or every other day. Over the last week and a half we have only gotten one or two green eggs, then today I found a gigantic green egg about 3X larger than normal. My best guess is that this monster egg was stopping up one of the girls for a while. Unfortunately the egg was broken on the top when I found it in the nesting box. I'm assuming it has something to do with the large size or a weak shell.

Can anyone tell me why this happens and if it's a problem?

Here are some images:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    OMG!!! that's a big egg..poor girl....hope she gets back to laying normal eggs...my hen has just started laying so i haven't ran into any problems yet....hope someone can give you answers.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    It is not at all unusual for young hens to lay over or undersize eggs, double yolkers, no yolkers etc. The hen's reproductive system has not yet fully settled down.Your hen is not ill.

In a month or two she will lay eggs of standard size eggs,

Sandie

4. Twin Chicks

Twin Chicks New Egg

Jun 22, 2010
    @PGpoultry Thank you for easing my concern. Too bad the egg was broken that would have been one heck of an omelet. [​IMG]

5. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Welcome to BYC!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by