No Eggs for a Week

Dec 17, 2023
Alabama
We traded for a trio of BCMs 3 weeks ago as I wanted to have some laying already while we wait on the rest of the pullets to start laying. Hens are both 2 years old....we were consistently getting 1 egg a day the first two weeks no issues, some days they'd lay on the same day and we'd get 2.....now absolutely nothing? We feed them scratch grain mixed with layer feed, and their tractor gets moved onto fresh grass every 3 days(as often as hubs can move it for my heavily pregnant self currently). I'm starting to think someone or something(snake) is stealing my eggs(our neighborhood is known to have human thieves over just about anything....example: my MILs rock flower bed...they literallysteal the rocks lol).....it seems very odd to me that they wouldn't be laying at all given they were and their nutrition is literally the same as when they lived at their old home(came from a friend so I know their entire history). Any thoughts? Like what the heck.

We feed them scratch grain mixed with layer feed,
That's why you're not getting eggs.
Scratch is not good for chickens, it's a treat, it's not supposed to be fed everyday. You only feed it once or twice a week and less than a tablespoon per bird.
Scratch is high in fat and carbs, fed in excess, it causes laying issues, vitamin deficiency and organ failure.
Its diluted the real nutrition from their feed, like eating a nice, healthy meal with a large side of fries.

That's why you're not getting eggs.
Scratch is not good for chickens, it's a treat, it's not supposed to be fed everyday. You only feed it once or twice a week and less than a tablespoon per bird.
Scratch is high in fat and carbs, fed in excess, it causes laying issues, vitamin deficiency and organ failure.
Its diluted the real nutrition from their feed, like eating a nice, healthy meal with a large side of fries.
Good to know. When I had chickens a decade ago they must have not cared because they laid consistently on whatever we fed....scrapes, scratch, layer pellet etc. I give 1/2 layer and 1/2 scratch because the old owner said that the rooster shouldn't have primarily layer feed. She's a vet so I figured she knew what she was saying.

Good to know. When I had chickens a decade ago they must have not cared because they laid consistently on whatever we fed....scrapes, scratch, layer pellet etc. I give 1/2 layer and 1/2 scratch because the old owner said that the rooster shouldn't have primarily layer feed. She's a vet so I figured she knew what she was saying.
We tend to wear rose colored glasses about what happened before, if you had exact stats from that time, you'd find they aren't as great as you remember. We fed ours similarly, nobody lived past 4, or layed past 3. We thought it was normal.
Roosters shouldn't have layer feed, she's correct but she should have guided you through the process a little more. Vets are humans too and chickens aren't studied at all by 95% of vets.
You feed an all flock or grower feed, with oyster shell for your girls.

Update: Still no eggs.
Swapped them to a quality layer pellet, provide free choice oyster shells, scratch as treat only as recommended. Still moving their tractor every few days onto fresh grass. Always have fresh water. I guess now we continue to wait for these free loaders to decide they want to pay rent🙃

When I have gotten new hens, they laid for a day or two, then took several off. I really don't think the diet has much to do with it. Unless you were starving your birds down to nothing, that would make them quite laying. As long as they have calories and a protein source they are fine.

Personally, I like the taste of my eggs when they have scratch. Some people keep their chickens diet quite strictly, which is fine, but I don't. I give a bit of scratch every day. I let them out to get grass and stuff some days. I do give good layers pellet too. I give scraps from the kitchen. I just don't fret it like some do.

Maybe it bothers them, but I don't think it does. I am not really interested in real long lived birds. I rather have a younger flock. To each their own way of doing things.

Mrs K

When I have gotten new hens, they laid for a day or two, then took several off. I really don't think the diet has much to do with it. Unless you were starving your birds down to nothing, that would make them quite laying. As long as they have calories and a protein source they are fine.

Personally, I like the taste of my eggs when they have scratch. Some people keep their chickens diet quite strictly, which is fine, but I don't. I give a bit of scratch every day. I let them out to get grass and stuff some days. I do give good layers pellet too. I give scraps from the kitchen. I just don't fret it like some do.

Maybe it bothers them, but I don't think it does. I am not really interested in real long lived birds. I rather have a younger flock. To each their own way of doing things.

Mrs K
I'm starting to think someone's stealing my eggs😅

It would seem they would have settled in by now, plus they know each other-so less move stress.

If they don’t drink enough water, they stop or reduce laying. I often give wet feed with ice cubes added during hot weather. The birds eat and drink at same time this way. I provide it around 2-3 when their run is mostly -all shaded.

Make sure they have plain water to choose from that is cool. Some people also provide additive water (electrolytes or ACV, as examples), but you should also offer plain water at same time.

Back
Top Bottom