No eggs for over 3 months?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SpeckledPullet, Nov 3, 2010.

1. SpeckledPullet

SpeckledPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    I have a flock of 9 laying hens. All are healthy as can be. 2 of my girls are Australorps and usually give me a steady 2 eggs daily.

So, for the past 3 months I've had NO eggs. [​IMG]

They are on the same food as always, same water, same coop, etc. The only thing I can put my finger on is that I did have a snake show up about 3.5 months ago or so, but the chickens acted like he wasn't there and continued to lay. About 2 weeks after that was when I quit getting eggs.

Also, I noticed a lot of feathers in their pen and original assumed they were all molting ... but does it make sense for ALL hens to quit laying and for this long of a time?

Any advise for me?

2. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    Also forgot - they are healthy as can be. No mites, no nothing. They are healthy and have gleaming, beautiful feathers.

3. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    Howdy!

That is unusual to have NO eggs for that long. My first thought is they've found a newer, better place to lay that you haven't discovered yet. At least that's been my experience with Australorps. Now I check the four "known" laying spots, and about once a week I turn over the woodpile, look behind straw bales etc. to see if anyone's gone rogue.

Bryan

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I only had three hens laying and now none of them are laying at all. Been close to three weeks. I am in N FL too. Mine seem to be molting somewhat.
    sharon

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Bryan brought up a good point...do they freerange??? If so, there's a chance that they're laying, but elsewhere. Three months does sound like a long time (considering the time of year yours began molting, when there was still decent light). I'd cut back on all treats (scratch, etc.) except for the high protein ones. Do you extend their day w/artificial lighting??? You might need to do so by this point if you're not doing so already...

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I have 25+ hens... I went from getting ~15 eggs a day down to 2... stayed at 2 for about 3 months now..... today WHAMMO!!!!! I was blessed with 18 eggs today

7. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    Quote:Wonder what caused it?

Sounds about like me. I'd love for the buggers to start laying again.

Thanks everyone for the help. As for the free ranging, no they do not free range. They have a 20 x 20 area and I have checked everywhere for a hidden stash.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by