No eggs for two weeks - Help~~ From Maryland

redheadmom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Is anyone from Maryland experiencing this - Hens just stopped laying after days of rain and cooler weather, plus shorter days. Yes, I have added light. They are getting 14 hours of light. Still no eggs! They look healthy and enjoy a little free range time outside the coop and run! They are 27-28 weeks old. First winter! Am I expecting too much in the far and winter?

Thanks!!

It may be a mini-molt. I'm not from MD, but these past weeks here in the Pacific NW we're getting a huge amount of rain with cold, dark, windy days. One of my pullets (30 weeks old) had been laying since September, stopped laying when the weather got dramatic. And this week her feathers were dropping from her back and legs, a little at a time. I'd never heard of them molting so early and it freaked me out. But apparently pullets can mini-molt at 9 months, and then get their first BIG molt at 18 months. Molters often stop laying for a while, since it takes a lot out of them to re-grow those feathers.

You could try giving your hens extra protein, to help ease them through the molt more quickly.

Mine certainly went through a molt at 18 months, a soft molt, fortunately. I would think that if you are seeing some feathers, and considering you are south of us, that it is probably time for your girls to go a little off egg-laying and that they will adjust with the light. Of course I'm assuming they are getting all they need, it sounds as though you are very conscientious about that...
cool.png

I am in Maryland and my older girls took a break, but they are back in full swing. I am lucky enough to have pullets that recently started laying. So we did not run out of eggs. Yours should be back to laying soon.

Thanks to everyone who replied! Since they are getting everything they need and some extras, I'll just wait and see what happens. These are our first 5 backyard chickens. Hoping to add more. We are addicted.
jumpy.gif

Thanks and God Bless,
Cheryl from Cordova, Maryland

Last edited:
I will have pure Rhode Island Reds, pure Barred Rocks, Blue Ameracauna and Blue Orpingtons and Buff Orpingtons this spring. All from BYC stock. I will be seeling hatching eggs ad chicks. Let me know when you are ready to get some more.

Back
Top Bottom