No eggs from new birds

cmorrell

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 30, 2017
SE KS
About a month ago, I had 9 of my 12 hens killed by dogs and I bought 9 replacement sex link pullets that were just starting to lay. The first day I had them, I got 5 eggs from the 9. Since then, I doubt I have got 12 eggs. I’m not sure how well they were fed before me. I thought of them eating eggs and tried mustard eggs. No more eggs. It didn’t appear they were eating a lot, so I started feeding more corn and pellets on the ground to scratch for. I got three eggs this week but nowhere near what I feel I should be getting. They have oyster shells and a large run. I’m not sure what the issue is and how I can get more eggs. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks

Could be combo of new environment and shortening days. Do you have supplemental light in coop? If not, can you add light so they get 14 hours of light a day? Some people let them have a break during short days/winter. Others add light to get eggs more consistently. We were getting fewer eggs, then added light a few weeks ago (1 regular bulb in a protected socket) and are now at 6-10 eggs/day from 10 layers (heritage breeds). We have 2 pullets around 37 weeks old who have yet to lay their first egg.

Good luck

I concur with Acre4Me. Also make sure they are getting plenty of free choice food. Layer mash free choice and scratch mix 2xdaily works for my hens. I am crazy and add a heat lamp that doesn't give too much light but enough to keep them laying and also give them a little comfort (I know some people are against this but they do not run my operation). Good luck, enjoy your flock!

It's the change & shorter days. What are you feeding? Oyster Shells in a separate dish good choice. You could check to find out what they were being fed, also I would stop the corn. Those that want eggs through the Winter set up lights (14hrs of light = laying). How old are they? Thinking they're not molting?

The new enviorment could have offset them. If your days are shortening, you won't get any eggs as they need an exact length of exposure to light to produce an egg. I'd feed free choice layer, a handful or two of scratch on the ground as well as oyster shell in a separate bowl.

Also agree with Acre4Me. I understand almost any kind of stress can put hens on a lay'n hiatus not to mention the short days of winter. Attack for some, a move for others, and perhaps a new pecking order to work out... plenty of food and clean water should get them back on track. Try augmenting the light and see if that helps or let them work out the basic stuff for now and then work on it next winter. Let us know how it goes.

The first day I had them, I got 5 eggs from the 9.
These were likely 'in progress' when you brought them home.

I thought of them eating eggs and tried mustard eggs.
Did you see any evidence of egg eating, like wet messes in nests or on ground?

Are you free ranging?
How big is your coop, in feet by feet?
How did you integrate the new birds?
Wonders if your existing birds are keeping the newbies away from feeder.

All,
I do not have light in the coop. I don't have electricity where my coop is located at. I have had birds before that slowed in the winter, but did not stop completely. I have an 8' x 8' coop with a 20' x 40' run. Layer pellets, water and oyster shells always available. I free range a lot in the summer but not a lot in the winter. Too many dogs, hawks, foxes and such around that are hungry in the winter. The original birds don't seem to be too aggressive towards them, generally. At least when I'm around. I think it's possible one or two of the original 3 has been molting but I don't think the new ones are. I had no evidence of egg eating but was unsure of how well they were fed before me.
Thank you all for the info!

Back
Top Bottom