No eggs in over a month

Taylermartin

Chirping
Sep 25, 2021
I have 5 hens. They have all been molting the past 4 to 6 weeks. I haven't seen one egg since. I had one bird pass away last week without any signs of it coming, no injury either. When they started molting I started them on Purina Chick Starter for protein. They don't seem as interested in the chick starter than their usual Purina Crumbles. I haven't seen any of them go this long without laying an egg. Should I adjust their diet?

I have 5 hens. They have all been molting the past 4 to 6 weeks. I haven't seen one egg since. I had one bird pass away last week without any signs of it coming, no injury either. When they started molting I started them on Purina Chick Starter for protein. They don't seem as interested in the chick starter than their usual Purina Crumbles. I haven't seen any of them go this long without laying an egg. Should I adjust their diet?
I think it could be because they are molting and that the winter season is coming. Molting takes up a LOT of their energy so they usually focus on molting instead of laying eggs. You can just feed them high protein feed for their molting. During wintertime the days get shorter so they may not lay eggs until warmer months.

Hi there! (Firstly, Im sorry you lost a hen! I believe you can send her to the state lab for free to have a necropsy to discover what happened with her and if it will affect your flock...)

I'm not sure how much help I will be but I can share my recent experience... My girls are also coming out of molt. I had 6 weeks of no eggs (they were hatched this year, too). I kept them on the Purina All Flock(20% protein) and oyster shell on the side as usual. I did add some vitamin mix to their water once a week since they were less active and not eating as much. A few of them just started laying again in the last 3 days. Some still haven't started back.

I'd be patient with them and I'm sure they will get back into the groove soon! I would definitely try to find out cause of death for your other hen though for the safety of your remaining girls.

20211111_123509.jpg

Back
Top Bottom