1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No eggs in winter???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MonicaVega28, Dec 29, 2010.

1. MonicaVega28

MonicaVega28 New Egg

Nov 30, 2010
    I have 2 chickens, one Buff Orpington, and one Barred Plymouth Rock. We had lost one chicken earlier this year, and got a new on which was the BO, and integrated them, and the pecking order has been established. I was expecting that she wouldn't lay until thing settled down, but it has been a while and still nothing. We adopted them both from a friend who had too many chickens, and now my Buff Orpington, "Charlie" wont lay since we got her. I have read that they will stop in the winter, but also read that they DO NOT stop in the winter. I am not sure how old they are, but my BPR "Mrs. Nezbit" lays about every other day since it became winter, rather than daily. Also im pretty sure she isnt a rooster, and our frinds we got her form said that she layed when she was at their house.

Any advise or sugestions?

thanks![​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I had two BO's going into winter who had lived here all their lives, over 2 years. One stopped laying when cold weather came and one did not, though she is laying only 2-3 a week now. Like many of us, you'll probably have to wait til spring. At least the days have already started to get longer.

3. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    yeah. i have 2 blue silkie hens that are not laying then i have a white hen that is laying almost everyday. i think its just all up to the chicken

4. MonicaVega28

MonicaVega28 New Egg

Nov 30, 2010
    Thanks! I was hoping that this was normal. I just want sure sometimes, despite what I read, they just don't lay.

5. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    My little flock of 14 was laying 12-14 eggs a day in October. They are now down to 4-6 a day. It's all good with me; hens are only born with a finite number of Ova to produce eggs, so I'd just as soon get (for example) 200 eggs for 3 years rather than 300 eggs for 2 years.

6. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

It's not uncommon for them to slow down or stop in the winter as there is less light, and they are diverting energy into creating heat.

7. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Of our 4 hens, one has started laying this week for the first time, 2 eggs in 2 days!!

8. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Mine slowed down in November, and aren't laying now. I have to wait til spring! [​IMG]

9. cabot

cabot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine took a break but have just started gearing up again. The welsummer just laid her first 2 eggs this week at 9 months of age.....
    Today we had 5 out of 6!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by