NO Eggs- Long Duration

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by paltinas, Nov 24, 2011.

1. paltinas

paltinas Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    My 2 Polish hens stopped laying over 3 months ago. One of them is about 1.5 years old, and the other one I am not sure of her age since I purchased her as an adult. Both chickens stopped laying at the same time, at least three months ago, when I changed the coop that they were in. I think that they were molting, as they were loosing a lot of feathers, although they never looked as bad as I thought they would (bald spots, etc). Well, the loss of feather stopped quite some time ago, over 1+ month....but still no eggs from either one of them.....

Also, I have 8 other hens, and have been averaging 0-2 eggs per day from them the last few weeks. Prior to that I would average 6-8 eggs per day. They are all about 1.5 years old. I am in NH so the colder weather is setting in and the shorter days are here.....But there is a light in the coop that is on for at least 5 hours a day.....The coop is pretty air tight and they have plenty of shavings and hay for added warmth.

They are feed layer pellets, along with sunflower seeds (shelled and unshelled) and scratch daily....They usually get some other snacks too, like bread, oatmeal, yogurt, berries, pasta, etc almost every day......

This is my 1st experience with chickens, so am wondering if there is anything else I should be considering....I did apply a lice power in the coop thinking maybe it could have been that.....Recently I read somewhere about deworming chickens....Not sure if that is something I should consider now....Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated....

Shannon
    New Hampshire

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The light? Do you have it come on at 4 or 4:30 am? Just wondering.

3. paltinas

paltinas Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    Light is usually on by 5am for a couple of hours. Then goes back on around 4pm until maybe 8pm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by