No eggs yet!

Tartannik

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Wet Argyll, Scotland
My oldest chick of this year is 27 weeks. And she still hasn't laid an egg!!! The rest are all a few weeks behind her but none from them either!
The first chick is a sussex X and the rest are all araucana, orp wyandotte and silkie X and not an egg from these ones either!!!
Do you think they are just not ready?? The sussex looks like she has quite a red comb but not a thing. And she can't be laying anywhere else as they are in a run!
hmm.png

In my experience, many pullets that come to maturity in Autumn won't lay until early Spring. I have several pullets that are 24-weeks plus that haven't laid yet and more than a few of them aren't even red in the comb or wattles yet. Don't worry, I know it's hard to wait but when they do start laying they'll be laying like crazy!
smile.png

Oh I feel your pain. I have 5 pullets. One started laying at 22 weeks, the other four still haven't layed a thing and they are all over 27 weeks now. I'm beginning to wonder if they will wait until spring too.

My oldest is 30 weeks and the other 3 are a couple weeks younger. Three of them have large red wattles and combs but no eggs yet here either. Hopefully soon. They look ready. Good luck with yours!

It is getting so dark, daylight hours are shrinking severely. Adding some supplemental pre-dawn hours of light is a personal choice. With it, you increase the chances of them going in to full blown laying mode in a week or two. Without it, you'll just have to wait and you might indeed wait until February when the days are noticeably longer again.

Back
Top Bottom