no eggs!

Springer lover

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 2, 2008
Ok, so i just got two new hens and a big handsome Rhode island red rooster. the hens would have been killed and eaten if i hadn't gotten them, and the rooster had been treated badly. anyway, the hens were laying before we got them. then they just stopped after a few days at our coop. they are feed well and have plenty of water. i am worried that they aren't adjusting well to the change of soundings. or it may be a change in food. my father, who lived on a farm in Nebraska as a kid, said it was the change in weather, but it has been cold for a while now and they still aren't laying! i am really worried! please help!

I'm by no means an expert, only having been in "chicken world" since this past May, but from everything I've seen and heard, chickens are total creatures of habit, and will stop laying if taken out of their familiar surroundings. Give them some time to adjust to their new home. I've recently built a huge outdoor run for my 7 babies, and moved them from the front yard, where they'd been free-ranging all summer, into their new home. Frieda, my BR hen, who is the only one that's laying already, and who has been giving us an egg every single day since she started back in September, has all but stopped. She'll lay one once in a while, then stop for several days, and I really think it's a combination of the change to really cold weather, and the new coop. Be patient, it'll happen soon enough!

Springer Lover,
It could be a combination of things. They will definitely stop laying when they are adjusting to changes in their life. So the change in environment, feed, etc... are all things they need to adjust to. I've hear of them stopping for a couple of days to a couple of months when adjusting. I think the average should be just a couple weeks.

In addition to that, you have the dark winter thing going on as well. Most chickens lessen in laying, if not stop entirely, for the winter, because they typically need 12-hour days to lay. So if you want them to lay this winter, you might want to consider supplemental light. For example, I have a light on a timer in my coop that comes on just before dusk and stays on 3 or 4 hours past to give them their extra light.

If they are eating, drinking, pooping, etc... and look healthy. I wouldn't be too worried.

Good luck!
D.gif

:thumbsupThis is my first time on here . springer I'am not sure what's going on I have 50 new pullets 20 2 weeks ago 20 3 weeks ago and 10 5 weeks ago and I only get 8 -10 eggs aday I did better with my 2 year old hens that Igot rid of , 150 lbs of feed per week and 50 lbs for 8wk old babys last year , 2 dzs a day THIS HURTS MY WALLET fresh warm water 2 times a day so , so your not alone Sringer I hope we both get some help . thanks ROADKILL 97 chicx

Hi ,

They will take a while to adjust. Plus this is a bad time of year, so they may lay off until after christmas, but they will settle in the end and start laying again. be patient.

Jena.

Back
Top Bottom