No Eggs?

Rob Ram

Hatching
Oct 22, 2020
What would cause hens not to lay any eggs? I have four hens, two are 10 months old and the other two are 7-8 months old. I thought after six months they usually start laying. The older hens I got as baby chicks with two others that turned out to be roosters. I had to give the roosters away because they were too loud in the morning. I picked up two other hens a couple months younger than the original two and after a couple weeks of picking on each other they get along good. Just none of them have started laying eggs. I’m new to this and a little confused. They have a nice quiet hen house with four bins divided for them. I even have a small heater for them on the cold nights, but not a heat lamp. I know they don’t lay as much in the winter months but they never started. I’m open to any suggestions. Thank you, Massachusetts here.

I have no answers but just a note that you aren't alone. I have some almost 8 month old Barred Rocks that aren't laying yet (hatched in early May). I was expecting them to start laying long ago, but I've seen various things here and elsewhere on the web that say some heritage breeds can take a while--and it is near the winter solstice. They're on layer pellets (switched too soon, as it turns out, but in any case, feed isn't likely to be the problem). I have been looking for signs of egg eating, but haven't seen any indication that's going on. It seems they really just are not laying yet. Hopefully sometime soon...

Back
Top Bottom