No eggs

Jhsugg560

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2022
I have 13 chickens all mixed breeds. They have been going through a pretty hard molt for about a month-month and a half. Since then I’ve been getting around one egg a day, but some days no eggs at all. Is that normal for them to totally stop laying when molting? Food has stayed the same and they all seem healthy. Thanks!

I have 13 chickens all mixed breeds. They have been going through a pretty hard molt for about a month-month and a half. Since then I’ve been getting around one egg a day, but some days no eggs at all. Is that normal for them to totally stop laying when molting? Food has stayed the same and they all seem healthy. Thanks!
It’s totally normal, they are molting and around this time they usually completely stop laying because of their winter break. They will start again when it gets warmer, mine usually start again around January-February😊

Yes it's normal. Mine did exactly the same so I turned on the led lights (red) in the coop. A couple weeks have passed and they're getting back to pre-molt laying.

If they are over a year old, then they will either slow down or stop laying completely for the winter, even after they are done with the molt. Mine stop completely and don't resume until February. I don't add artificial lighting to force them to lay, because their bodies need the rest. They stop for a reason.

If they are over a year old, then they will either slow down or stop laying completely for the winter, even after they are done with the molt. Mine stop completely and don't resume until February. I don't add artificial lighting to force them to lay, because their bodies need the rest. They stop for a reason.
Oh that’s good to know! They are all around 3 years old

Back
Top Bottom