No Eggs

I still think post-molt stoppage would explain most of it, unless you're saying they did not molt at all this year?

Granted I don't get nearly the length of sunlight that you do but it's completely normal for my hens to not lay at all for months post-molt. I haven't gotten an egg this year since... maybe late Sept or early October,.

And I responded they day you posted originally, I'm sorry you didn't get more responses back then but generally folks wait for more information before jumping in.

As far as a possible parasite issue for both internal and external parasites you don't need to check the whole flock, a visual exam of a few birds should answer any questions about whether there's lice or mites. Internal parasites, you'd need to take a fecal sample to a vet and have a float done to check for worms.
Hi

Yeah, its definitely not molting related. I agree, production drops off significantly but not to zero...for this long of a time (with or without molt).

Thank you for your responses. For some reason I wasn't getting notifications.

Agree, I have to do a deep dive on checking the birds a lil closer and look for parasites. Right now, the flock looks good.

Regardless, I would add new chicks this spring. The things that really effect laying are:
  • light
  • age of the bird - older birds lay less often and have longer periods of non laying
  • diet - not so much, unless they are starving, a lot of people on here are incredibly picky about what their birds eat...and yet I bet they themselves eat potato chips.
  • in order for parasites to effect laying, the bird would be unthrifty, and starving. Most hens, with a good layer feed can manage a few parasites, not that I am in favor of parasites.
I do not think a loss of the dominant birds would have an influence of laying habits of birds. Numerous times, I lost a flock or most of a flock due to predators - never affected any of the ones left, other than a day or two.

Mrs K
Yes, Mrs. K, agree. Addition of a few more birds is on the near term radar. I prefer to get pullets a little older, primarily due to the limited time I have to deal with baby chicks. I also have 10 goats that are vying for my attention. :)

I....need.....Eggs! :)

Yeah, it’s definitely not molting related. I agree, production drops off significantly but not to zero...for this long of a time (with or without molt).

I would definitely take the advice of the other members who have responded as they are a wealth on information but I wanted to say I have one hen who will be 4 in May, and since her second winter she stops laying in September and usually doesn’t start again until March. She takes a long holiday. So yes, going that long without laying IS possible.

Good luck with your flock, hopefully that start giving you some eggs again soon 🥚

I'd really check for a nest somewhere else mine keep refusing the nest boxes and laying somewhere else in coop! This wase prize I found yesterday!
1000000600.jpg

Yep they're all frozen and broke ! What made me wonder is the numerous egg songs coming from coop and run.
1 Are their combs red?
2. Do you here the "egg song" from them. ?

Back
Top Bottom