No Eggs!

sgray136

Crowing
16 Years
May 11, 2007
Huntertown, Indiana
I had a group of girls that laid so many eggs last year that we could hardly keep up. We were averaging an egg a hen every day through last summer and winter into the late spring then suddenly nothing. I have waited for the molt, I have fed them until my pocket book has begun to scream yet we are no lucky to get two eggs a week out of ten hens.

Is it possible that the hens will not lay because of overcrowding?

I received the wrong order from Mc Murray containing eight bantams of different varities and kept them with the corrected order that came a week later. I found that three of my six pullets were actually roos so now I have seven laying hens with the other ten either being bantam hens or five roos.

Do I need to thin out my laying flock by putting the others in a coop of their own? I attempted to shut the unwanted out but they hang around the outside of the coop unwilling to move even if a dog or cyote comes by. I've checked for mites, cleaned their coop and made sure they have plenty of calcium supp but still no eggs?

If any one has an idea or two I'm sure open for it.

Shaughn
Huntertown, IN

Well I can't tell you why your hens aren't laying, but I can tell you that I am having the same problem and that space isn't the reason. We have 9 hens that are 1 1/2 old in a 10X8 coop. They free range most days, but they're staying in the last few days because of snow on the ground. We've been getting one egg every other day or so for about a month. It's very frustrating! Last year, they laid so many eggs & now I'm having to buy them at the store.
barnie.gif

My girls have 'quit' as well and it's not overcrowding. We only have 4 chickens who have plenty of space and free ranging time. One definitely went in molt- the other two sort of look like they have been molting- but still- no eggs.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom