No eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bobmay, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Bobmay

Bobmay New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    Brand new to the egg game. I recently purchased some new chickens for which I was told they had already begun laying. Question - would the transfer to a new location and perhaps a change in food cause them to delay laying for a few days until they get familiar with their new surroundings?

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    That could well be the case. I've also heard that if they were held upside down by thier legs that it can throw off the egg laying and sometimes stop all together on their laying.

3. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I added some Wyandottes to my flock about 2 months ago. They were 18 months old, and both laid an egg their first day. Haven't had an egg since... I do think they went through a "stress molt" but they seem fine now, still no eggs. Ready to give the buggers away!

4. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    sometimes chickens stop laying when they are under stress caused by a number of things including moving to another flock. i would give them a week or two to settle in if there are no eggs after that check there vent, if its opon(like they were laying eggs before) they may have something wrong with them if it is closed they may be ready to molt or haven't begun laying just yet
    good luck!

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Hi Bob! YES! They do get a bit stressed out when they go to a new place, but once they get used to their new environment, those eggs will start coming again.

Changes often upset chickens.....causing them to temporarily stop laying......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by