no eggs!!

ddelfino

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 22, 2013
Can anyone help me understand why our chickens are not laying eggs as of yet? They were born in May of this year and we have not received one egg from a flock of 9 hens. We let them free range every day for several hours - feed them Dumors layer but non have produced a egg as of yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Hi Dan.....just give them time...I know with my bunch....some took a little longer than 6 months to lay. It really does depend on the breed you have..........be patient.....it's almost time......promise

Can anyone help me understand why our chickens are not laying eggs as of yet? They were born in May of this year and we have not received one egg from a flock of 9 hens. We let them free range every day for several hours - feed them Dumors layer but non have produced a egg as of yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
You failed to mention what kind or breed of hens you have. A chicken hatched in May of this year should be about 24 weeks or older by now. This is plenty old enough for most hens to lay their first eggs. Do be aware that some hen breeds are kept or bred on a fancy. This type of hen has not been selectively bred for egg production but to have pretty feathers and be eye candy for its owner.

Other hens are so called dual-purpose fowl. This means that they are bred to both lay eggs as well as to make succulent chicken dinners. The reality is that they can preform neither task well. How many hours of interrupted light do your hens get each and every day? 14 hours of Sunlight or of bright artificial light per day plus a high protein feed is considered necessary to trigger laying in most hen chickens. If any of your hens are close to laying their first egg their face, and comb will become swollen and take on a bright red glowing appearance. You should also notice any hen on the verge of laying singing a cute little hen song and moving up in the pecking order.
The last of March next year is the first time that the light hours will be equal to or longer than the long dark days of winter. Depending on your husbandry practices as well as the breed of hen that you keep that may be when you get your first egg.

Good luck and hang in there.

Last edited:
You say they are free range, if they are let out early in the day, they may be laying elsewhere.
Mine to were hatched late May, (Some early June!) and most have been laying for a couple months. I have a light set on a timer that comes on at 1:30 AM, and when I get home from work at 4:30 AM, there are usually 18-20 eggs, then when I get up at 11:30 AM another 18-22 for a total daily egg production of 36-42 eggs everyday, (I have 43 laying hens!) this is when I let them out to free range, and so far I have not found any eggs outside the coup.

They need to have clean water at all times, if they run out of water for even a few hours a day, that can stop egg production all together for days, or even weeks. And a place they feel safe and private for laying eggs, the nest can be somewhat dark, other wise they will seek out a safe place, and you may not find the eggs. The coup needs to be dry, and well ventilated, and well lit. Many experts recommend 16 hours of light, I have the light on in the coup from 1:30 AM until 4:00 PM, then as day fades to night, they have a natural transition. (It gets dark in these parts about 5:30- 5:45 PM this time of year.

To have the best egg production they need good clean food, (I recommend the food whenever it is light.) water, plenty of light, and a safe private nest, given that, they will soon be laying. Some hens will lay even before day break, (Or the light comes on, if using artificial lighting.) so fresh water 24/7 is important.

As for the breed, some start laying as early as 14-17 weeks, while others don't start until they are 6 months or older.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom