No eggs

mmgillan

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Walterboro, SC
Any thoughts on this: out of 13 2-3 y/o hens I am getting maybe 1-4 eggs a day! They were laying like crazy and have cut way back. I saw them a month or so ago in a part of our yard that had standing water from our septic drain field and drinking it! Could this cause the slow down in eggs? Maybe cause worms? What should I do? Been trying to keep an eye on their poops and they seem somewhat normal. I also noticed some lice on some & been dusting them with DE & cleaned out the coop. At a complete loss as to why!
1f612.png

Any thoughts on this: out of 13 2-3 y/o hens I am getting maybe 1-4 eggs a day! They were laying like crazy and have cut way back. I saw them a month or so ago in a part of our yard that had standing water from our septic drain field and drinking it! Could this cause the slow down in eggs? Maybe cause worms? What should I do? Been trying to keep an eye on their poops and they seem somewhat normal. I also noticed some lice on some & been dusting them with DE & cleaned out the coop. At a complete loss as to why!
1f612.png

Hello, if your birds have lice, DE will do nothing for them. Treat them immediately with sevin dust. Empty out all coop bedding, treat birds and everything with dust, put in new bedding. Repeat treatment of birds and coop in 7 to 10 days. Were they actually drinking raw sewage? If so, they may have bacterial infection. Take poop sample to vet for labs. Vet should be able to recommend proper course. Worms are always possible and probable in chickens. Treat them now for that as well. Safeguard horse/goat/cattle paste or frontline for cats will fix that. You should be able to find what you need at TSC or farm store. Don't buy wazine, it only treats one kind of worm. @casportpony has dosing info for wormers and more in her signature. Ask any more Q's you have. We are here for you!
smile.png

Ok, I think I kicked lice butt. However, I'm still not getting many eggs. Only 1 today!
1f612.png
. I did take the poop to vet. He checked for worms & sent off sample to test for coccidiosis. All clear with that. He did recommend as a Hail Mary to give them a round of tetracycline in case they have an intestinal bacteria infection from drinking the nasty drain field water. Did that as well. Am I missing anything? Should I give them another round? I mixed 1 pkt into the 3gal waterer. Is that ok? :idunno

Ok, I think I kicked lice butt. However, I'm still not getting many eggs. Only 1 today!
1f612.png
. I did take the poop to vet. He checked for worms & sent off sample to test for coccidiosis. All clear with that. He did recommend as a Hail Mary to give them a round of tetracycline in case they have an intestinal bacteria infection from drinking the nasty drain field water. Did that as well. Am I missing anything? Should I give them another round? I mixed 1 pkt into the 3gal waterer. Is that ok?
idunno.gif

Tetracycline should be given for 7 days. make fresh daily. Are you using powder and at what dosage? Also, after antibiotics are finished, give probiotics to restore proper gut health. Antibiotics may cause diarrhea which is why you give probiotics after.
smile.png

Glad you kicked lice butts!!

Last edited:
Ok, well my vet doesn't trest chickens so he suggested I treat with tetracycline. Well that might explain things. So for 7 days. How much should I be giving and what about egg withdrawal for the few that I am getting?

Last edited:
Are they free range? Have you gone on an intensive egg hunt or tried confining them to the coop for a while? What breeds are we talking about?

Ok, well my vet doesn't trest chickens so he suggested I treat with tetracycline. Well that might explain things. So for 7 days. How much should I be giving and what about egg withdrawal for the few that I am getting?

You know, you'd think Vets would get the whole antibiotic thing:
fl.gif
1) Prescribe correct amount, state how many days/doses, 2) remind people (And for animals) Take all until finished, 3) The misuse and under/over use causes whatever bug you are treating to become resistant or mutate into a super bug.
Oxytetracycline HCI soluble powder 10grams: Severe/aggressive dose (800mg) 2.5 tsp per U.S. gallon, mixed fresh daily for 7 consecutive days. 2 week egg withdrawal period.
Give probiotics after to restore gut balance. Chickens may have diarrhea during antibiotic treatment.
I don't know why your vet did not check the sample for bacterial or fungal infection. As with humans, haphazard use of antibiotics in animals, is detrimental to people and animals all around the world!
Not upset at you but the medical community should know these things!

Thanks, I agree. That's why I'm trying to get more information on this. The problem, I believe, stem from some standing water from our septic drain field. I caught some hopped the fence and were in there drinking the water. Since no parasites or coccidiosis showed up in the text, he just suggested I give them some tetracycline as a precaution. Didn't even think to ask the receptionist who called me about dosing it and egg withdrawal. One place I searched said not to give to laying hens, so I was confused & concerned.

Thanks, I agree. That's why I'm trying to get more information on this. The problem, I believe, stem from some standing water from our septic drain field. I caught some hopped the fence and were in there drinking the water. Since no parasites or coccidiosis showed up in the text, he just suggested I give them some tetracycline as a precaution. Didn't even think to ask the receptionist who called me about dosing it and egg withdrawal. One place I searched said not to give to laying hens, so I was confused & concerned.

If you are not certain of their illness and treatment, it is best not to use antibiotics especially in laying hens. Antibiotics for animals who are used for food should be the last option. I would ask the vet, or a different vet to test fecal samples and/or do blood testing before throwing antibiotics at the problem IMHO.
Here is an interesting article regarding use of antibiotics in food animals. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm378100.htm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom