No electricity water deicer. Its a must for the winter

I did this, but not in a waterer like he has. It did freeze eventually, but not as fast. It was during a super cold spell where I had to coop all the birds up. The salt water bottle is buoyant so creates motion while its bobbing around. That's why the water doesn't freeze as fast. However, in the example shown, I wonder what the temps were inside that coop. It looked toasty enough.

I did this, but not in a waterer like he has. It did freeze eventually, but not as fast. It was during a super cold spell where I had to coop all the birds up. The salt water bottle is buoyant so creates motion while its bobbing around. That's why the water doesn't freeze as fast. However, in the example shown, I wonder what the temps were inside that coop. It looked toasty enough.

I thought about that "inside" temp too with all those birds in there along with the hay bales, but I like the idea and might modify it using a larger salt-water bottle.

Then again, we have an outdoor, automatic watering system that runs off an underground supply line from our house. On nights we know it's going to be cold enough to freeze, we just put a large Rubbermaid "Brute" can over the auto-fill bucket - works like a charm... :)

I thought about that "inside" temp too with all those birds in there along with the hay bales, but I like the idea and might modify it using a larger salt-water bottle.

Then again, we have an outdoor, automatic watering system that runs off an underground supply line from our house. On nights we know it's going to be cold enough to freeze, we just put a large Rubbermaid "Brute" can over the auto-fill bucket - works like a charm... :)
Nice idea as well. If you do use the salt water trick, make sure that cap is on there tight. Wouldn't want any salt leaking into the water source.

Nice idea as well. If you do use the salt water trick, make sure that cap is on there tight. Wouldn't want any salt leaking into the water source.
Indeed. My bf, who is a top-rate "fixer" of pretty much anything and everything, would get that chore, and I know he'd be 110% certain that we were in a no-leak condition before putting it into service.

from a Chemistry teacher friend
Salt lowers the freezing point of water. So, it will freeze lower than 32...so that means it stays liquid longer. Water loses heat as it cools, so the freshwater from the outside is picking up the heat from the salty water inside. that is why we use rock salt in ice cream makers....we want the water in the cream to freeze slowly as we churn it. The salt lowers the temperature of the ice which then freezes the ice cream mixture. We use rock salt so it doesn't freeze too quickly. I tried table salt once and it froze the ice cream almost instantly!

Enter

You sent​

Back
Top Bottom