NO EMERGENCY: How to trim a crossed beak?

I think regular nail clippers would work too.
If you cut too much it will not kill them. Maybe put some neosporin on that.
You do not want to cut too much,while it may not kill them,it will bleed profusely and this is not a pretty sight and very painful for bird. This is why you trim a bit at a time,especially if it is your first time trimming beak.

I don't have any bleed stop on hand, but I do have cornstarch, which has worked on my dog's nails when I cut too far. I can also hold pressure on it if I cut too much. I hope.

I don't have any bleed stop on hand, but I do have cornstarch, which has worked on my dog's nails when I cut too far. I can also hold pressure on it if I cut too much. I hope.
Just go slow,you will be fine. Cornstarch or flour is fine for stopping bleeding.

just remember if you accidentally hit the quick,do not panic stay calm,apply pressure/cornstarch,etc. The more you panic the more your bird will and a stressed/panicky bird will bleed heavily due to rate of blood being pumped by heart from stressful situation.

Last edited:
I did it! One benefit I have is that his beak is pale...I can see the quick, so I knew how far to cut! Bad thing is though, it didn't really improve anything. The quick part of the beak is crossed, so I guess there's not real way to improve the cross. At least I tried, though.

Back
Top Bottom