No Energy, disoriented and Comb & wattles turning purple - Help

poe4soul

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 4, 2013
My 4 year old Road Island Red, Ruby-red-racer seems to have lost her engine. For the past week I have watched her energy levels decline. She almost seems dissoriented as last night I had to pick her up and put her in the coop for the night. I've noticed that her once big brilliant red comb as well as her face skin appears more purple than red and she has had the squirts for about a month. The guy at the feed store suggested I add some baking soda to her drinking water. I did but I don't know if that has helped and that was before she developed these other symptons. Does anyone have any Ideas? I hate to see her suffering. The remainder of mu 6 chicken flock seams normal. I've inspected her vent - all clear. I've look up her nose and listend to her breathing it also appears normal.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone has out there for me.
Poe4Soul in Portland

O gosh, so hard to say. It does not sound like she is drinking anything at this point though.

I would stop the baking soda and try to get some electrolyte fluids into her- maybe try adding "sav a chick" in the water.

Can you get her to eat anything? I would isolate her in a warm area and make her some scrambled eggs. Maybe try a little bread soaked in the electrolyte fluids. Try a few mealworms also.

If you can get her perked back up again eating and drinking we can then try to work on the diarrhea thing.

Please post with any updates

Good Luck!

Trish

Just wanted to follow up. Ruby the red racer passed away early Tuesday evening. After 3 rounds of warm water lavage to her crop, which resuted in ridding her of some sour smelling contents. Her waddles, face and crop appeared to be returning to a more normal shade of red. I had her in my laundry room and she seem to have found a burst of energy then all of a sudden she collapsed. I just held her and stroked her head. She seemed at peace, closed her eyes and passsed away. It could have been her time or perhaps she inhaled some of the foul crop liquid, I don't know. Being a BYC keeper has it's ups and downs.

hit.gif

I'm so sorry for your loss

hugs.gif

Trish

Back
Top Bottom