No free ranging for my girls :(

KelsiNS

Songster
6 Years
Jun 24, 2013
Buna, TX
When i refilled water this morning, Alice, my BA, tried to follow me out of the gate.So i thought about it and said, "Let me go get my orange juice and ill come let you two out for a bit." First time free ranging. They conquered the "big roost" yesterday-theyre growing up. Rosie and Alice quite happily trotted, "flew", and scratched in the overgrown garden.

Then i saw them. My idiot neighbors neurotic dogs. Labs . Poorly bred and mistreated. Loose again. Heading right for my yard.

Neither Rosie nor Alice enjoy being handled-but i saw the dogs the same time thr dogs saw my only surviving chickens.

After a mad race into the garden, i JUST beat the dogs- grabbing VERY startled chickens and holding them overhead.

The girls did not try to follow me out of the gate twice.

No free ranging for my chickens :( Im hoping my dedication to pulling up their favorite plants and catching jars full of cicadas, june bugs, and grasshoppers will suffice.

Our chicks free range. (We live out in the country) but don't feel bad! Do you have a fenced in yard for them? We catch bigs for them and they love it even if they are only on their run. We buy a bag of cracked corn (50 pounds for 10 bucks) from the feed store and mix it with their food and they love it! You will have some happy little chicks

My girls free range for a few hours every day. I usually let them out of the coop, then go about doing my own thing and check on them every so often. We have a fenced in backyard and haven't had any issues yet.....once "winter" hits Texas I will be a little more careful for hawks though. I've heard the hawks are much more likely to go after one of your girls when it gets cold and there are less mice, frogs, etc. out and about.

Our chicks free range all day and go back in by themselves at night. There's a hawk nest with baby hawks nearby. They have free ranged for a few months and so far no missing chicks! I'm also incubating some eggs to expand my flock

Ours have a 20x20 pen (expanding to 20x80 tomorrow), but alas our entire yard isnt fenced, and there are no leash laws. Its upsetting that i have to keep a closer eye on someone elses pets than wild predators!

Ours have a 20x20 pen (expanding to 20x80 tomorrow), but alas our entire yard isnt fenced, and there are no leash laws. Its upsetting that i have to keep a closer eye on someone elses pets than wild predators!
But your yard is your private property. Just post a sign and call the pound. Or, if you dont care just shoot them. You dont have to kill them. Just a pellet in the butt every time they come over will deter them.

Signs posted, no pound to call! I put the girls up and dragged the dogs home (again). I told the owner this was the last time i walked his dogs off my property and if they came again they were getting a case of lead poisoning. He has fences-but they need repairing.

But your yard is your private property. Just post a sign and call the pound. Or, if you dont care just shoot them. You dont have to kill them. Just a pellet in the butt every time they come over will deter them.
Unfortunately, most dogs can't read signs. Many areas don't have a pound to call, and OP could be charged with animal cruelty by intentionally just injuring the dog.

OP, hopefully your neighbor took you seriously. If not, either SSS or call your local sheriff or whoever you call for law enforcement and ask them to deal with it.

PS - I think 20'x80' is plenty of room to roam for your chickens. They should be just fine in that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom