No human food allowed!

Mahtowagal

Songster
9 Years
Sep 11, 2014
….according to my 15 week old Cochins. Now my last Cochin flocked LOVED these foods so I just don’t get it. They are eating their organic crumbles and they’ll eat black soldier fly larvae , mealworms, scratch …but whenever I try a human food, they peck it once and then ignore it. I have so far tried: Romaine, iceberg lettuce, blueberries, raspberries, watermelon, bread (!), cantaloupe, yogurt, broccoli and mini carrot pieces. My last flock would go crazy when I gave them a big head of romaine or any bread crumbs. It’s almost like they just don’t know it’s food. My last Cochin flock I raised with yard dirt/grass and moss ( bugs) as their cage bedding from 1 week of age on. This flock was raised on hemp bedding. I also started feeding human food to my last flock when they were about 8-10 weeks old. This flock didn’t seem interested at that age so I gave up. Thoughts? IMG_1020.jpeg IMG_0826.jpeg IMG_0825.jpeg IMG_0985.jpeg

Mine are pretty picky, too. I have observed that if one is unenthusiastic about a proffered treat, it can tend to influence the other's opinion, especially in a smaller flock situation where there is little competition (like mine).

Some successful treat ideas from my picky bantam eaters: cucumber slices, my rooster gets pretty excited for raisins, hen not so much. They both like cheese shreds, but mozzarella is preferred over cheddar 😆

You have a beautiful flock 😍. My splash cochin is really picky but loves live bugs and egg. The other food she just turns her beak up at it.
Thanks! I’ll try eggs :) I really loved that my old flock ate greens. They were long lived and laid to 9 years old. I felt I had them on a healthy diet plus they had fun pecking the romaine lettuce . I will give the eggs a try and if they eat that I may try mixing greens in.

Mine are pretty picky, too. I have observed that if one is unenthusiastic about a proffered treat, it can tend to influence the other's opinion, especially in a smaller flock situation where there is little competition (like mine).

Some successful treat ideas from my picky bantam eaters: cucumber slices, my rooster gets pretty excited for raisins, hen not so much. They both like cheese shreds, but mozzarella is preferred over cheddar 😆
Oh! I’ll try raisins and cheese! Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom