No idea of due date

Chickengirl2001

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2023
NSW Australia
Hi all! So we have 3 hens and a rooster (2 silkie hens, a silkie rooster and an ISA brown hen).
The silkie hens began laying a clutch of eggs at the same time in the same nest box over the period of about 2 weeks and then both sat on them side by side. We decided to let nature take its course and hoped at least a few would hatch. We were getting ready to discard of the eggs on Sunday as it had been about 28 days since the first was laid and we were worried about our hens as they weren’t moving off the nest at all. Then (to our shock) one hatched Monday morning!! So we separated the two hens and their nest (including chick) from the rest of the flock. Upon doing this we realised that the ISA brown had started laying in the same box. There are about 16 or more unhatched eggs in the box. Now today (Thursday) one of the silkies has rightfully so decided she’s done sitting on them and is happy with her one chick. I’ve tried candling the eggs but it only seems like 3 are alive but it’s hard to tell because the ISA brown’s eggs are still quite new.
I know we have made a mistake but please no judgement, this is a learning curve for us and we won’t be letting this happen again for our hens’ sake. I can’t decide if we should just get rid of the ones we aren’t seeing obvious movement in and keep the couple that seem alive or if I should wait it out and see if more hatch (seems a bit selfish and unfair on the hen). I would have tossed them all if they all looked dead as I know it’s unfair to let a hen sit on eggs that are never going to hatch but I still have hope for the ISA brown’s eggs. Please give me advice on what to do. Im in Australia where some days it has been 40 degrees Celsius.
I just want to add I have been feeding the hen (and the other before she got off the nest) with a wet mash of their food so they didn’t starve and have also got a fan on them to help circulate the air. Thank you!

I know we have made a mistake but please no judgement,
No judgement here,,,, just helpful advice. :hugs

Raising chickens is a learning experience. Just try your best.
I suggest you let the remaining broody hen sit on those eggs. Since this is a staggered hatch, things may be challenging.
If you do see obvious bad eggs, then remove those.
Do you want Isa Brown/silkie mixed chicks??? If not ready for such just yet,,,,,, remove those eggs, and eat them for breakfast. Easily identifiable from silkie eggs by size, and color.
If you have an incubator that you can borrow, then place all eggs that you have ,from that nest, and see what develops. It may be a wide staggered hatch, but do your best.

Then from that nest,, remove eggs daily, and eat them.
If you are ready to start hatching more eggs in the near future,,,, best way is to gather the amount of eggs you want to hatch out. Keep them on your counter inside home. Then,,,,, if you have a broody sitting in nest,,, Place all those saved eggs under her. Make pencil, or marker notations on those eggs. Any new additions, remove if there are no markings. Your chicks will hatch all about same time.
Seriously consider incubator for easy hatching.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

If you are certain that some eggs are not viable, you can carefully remove them from the nest. This will reduce the risk of contamination and allow the hen to focus on caring for the chicks.

No judgement here,,,, just helpful advice. :hugs

Raising chickens is a learning experience. Just try your best.
I suggest you let the remaining broody hen sit on those eggs. Since this is a staggered hatch, things may be challenging.
If you do see obvious bad eggs, then remove those.
Do you want Isa Brown/silkie mixed chicks??? If not ready for such just yet,,,,,, remove those eggs, and eat them for breakfast. Easily identifiable from silkie eggs by size, and color.
If you have an incubator that you can borrow, then place all eggs that you have ,from that nest, and see what develops. It may be a wide staggered hatch, but do your best.

Then from that nest,, remove eggs daily, and eat them.
If you are ready to start hatching more eggs in the near future,,,, best way is to gather the amount of eggs you want to hatch out. Keep them on your counter inside home. Then,,,,, if you have a broody sitting in nest,,, Place all those saved eggs under her. Make pencil, or marker notations on those eggs. Any new additions, remove if there are no markings. Your chicks will hatch all about same time.
Seriously consider incubator for easy hatching.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
Thank you so much for all this helpful information!
Unfortunately I won’t be able to remove and eat the ISA brown eggs as some are already what looks like at least 10 days along. Out of the ones I was able to candle, at least two of the ISA brown eggs were moving and clearly alive. I think what I will do is grab an incubator today and move the ISA brown eggs into it, leaving the silkie hen with her own eggs.

Thank you so much, that sounds like a much better way to gauge what the due date will be and how far along they are. I know I marked the silkie’s first 3 eggs and planned to keep doing so but I would do it when she got off the nest in the morning to eat, drink and dust bathe. Then she became very determined and a little aggressive and I didn’t even think to just use gloves which is what I’m doing now! I’d like to think the ones I first marked are no good as they were laid 11th, 13th and 15th November and haven’t hatched. I’ll definitely keep educating myself and stay on top of collecting eggs from now on until I’m ready to hatch more. Thank you again, your advice has been very helpful and thanks for the welcome!!

Back
Top Bottom