No internal pip day 23.. and very little veins left

Apr 18, 2021
Riddle me this.. 🤣 So i have abit of a general idea about Assisted hatches im not one to jump in and assist unless i think its absolutely necessary! I understand about veining and all that and keeping the membrane moist i tend to use Clorsig ointment for that as its antibiotic aswell.. However I've hit one of those i have never seen this before moments... im on day 23 and had 2 eggs in lockdown 1 egg hatched on day 21 with zero issues. And i thought my other egg might have died being 48 from the other hatch and no signs of life i candled it and couldn't see any movement or internal pip and i gave it a tap and heard no sound.. i knew it had a very strong chick in it at lockdown so i decided to open up the air sac and see what happened as i often do if one doesn't make it out of lockdown...

To my surprise the chick is still alive! I was so not expecting to find that! But im confused.. there is no internal pip in the membrane but the veining looks like its not far off hatching.. the chick looks pretty strong and was moving around opening its mouth as they do... should i do an internal pip and just free its beak and then leave it?? I can easily do it without hitting any veins?? Or should it be left alone? I don't understand why it hasn't done an internal pip.. i can see it has a foot at the top of its head tho i can't quite see it its stopping it from getting into position to pip?

I guess the main question at this point is will it kill it if i internally pip it and its not ready but i don't hit any veins?

Last edited:
Update for anyone in the future.. i waitied abit and thought on it and decided to free its beak as soon as i opened the membrane i noticed this green/yellow goo in the chicks mouth.. and it was gagging i cleared it all away from its face, and what i could through the hole, and put the chick back in the Bator and have been checking it regularly.. ive just checked on it again and the chick has died.. i investigated and the chick had abit of a prolapsed butt the yolk seems gone and the prolaps was intact but there is green poop in the bottom of the shell, my nurse brain just went straight to how babys will poo when in fetal distress.. i think this one was probably ready to come out yesterday and just wasn't strong enough so it was probably for the best!

Update for anyone in the future.. i waitied abit and thought on it and decided to free its beak as soon as i opened the membrane i noticed this green/yellow goo in the chicks mouth.. and it was gagging i cleared it all away from its face, and what i could through the hole, and put the chick back in the Bator and have been checking it regularly.. ive just checked on it again and the chick has died.. i investigated and the chick had abit of a prolapsed butt the yolk seems gone and the prolaps was intact but there is green poop in the bottom of the shell, my nurse brain just went straight to how babys will poo when in fetal distress.. i think this one was probably ready to come out yesterday and just wasn't strong enough so it was probably for the best!
I’m on the start of day 25 now and when I candled on day 23 they looked good so i left them, I haven’t seen any rocking or heard anything and it’s getting late now. What would you suggest I do?

Back
Top Bottom