no love for the love bugs PIC ADDED

jnjross

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 3, 2008
edwards, ms
when are these darn thing gonna die! die d@^^ it die.
how far north are they reaching anyone else being plagued.
i had to go back to using the dryer :mad:
gig.gif

oh and the weather is soooo nice and i can even open the windows ahhhhhhh

Picture080.jpg

Last edited:
oh no they're these black bug from africa they have a orange dot on the back and they fly around stuck together mating (love bugs) they fly to US ? to mate then the female fly back to africa or south amer? not sure they come along way to fly around my house and they're so sticky if you squish one
tongue.gif

Oh God! You brought back such bad memories!!! I hated those awful things. We lived in Texas several years back and I remember there were two seasons of them. The sky was black with them flying around. They got into one of the bedrooms somehow and we actually had to shut the door for a couple of weeks to keep them confined. Oh, and the stink when I vacummed them up. Know what I use to do to get back at them? I use to kill just one, and the other would try and fly away with the dead one attached!! Oh, I was cruel. Wish I had chickens back then! Do the chickens eat them??
I feel for you....

They sound a lot like our box elder bugs here only they have a red dot on their back. Annoying little things in the early spring then late summer. My chickens love them so I'm hoping for a lot less of the little buggers next year
big_smile.png

Last edited:
no nothing eats them not even the spiders , my "pet" over the door who caught the porch light bug abandoned it's web covered in the nasty things. they love white and the door is white i'd paint it but they only love two things more than white, paint fumes and gas fumes

the hurricane brought them back we normally only see them once a year

Last edited:
* They used to be down here when I was a kid, clouds of them flew in front of bad summer storms off the Everglades (so, maybe yours are from the hurricane???). Haven't see more than just a few since the geckos took over. We always thought they were blind, bite-less mosquitoes.

Last edited:
We get both the box elder bugs and japanese beetles in DROVES in the fall!!
There is a post on here that says chickens like Japanese Beetles, I thought NOTHING liked those. So try giving those "love bugs" to the chickens!
(The only other thing I ever heard of that liked the JBs is hedgehogs.
smile.png
)

sounds like box elder bugs! Had them when we lived on the farm. Now in city, I never saw them ever again!

Chickens will NOT eat them, they are said to taste foul. Even the dogs we had, tempted to taste them out of curiousity and they were nasty.....foaming at the mouth and BAD taste!

They are awful right now. We thought they had run their course and then along came Ike and brought them all back. My chickens aren't eating them. If they taste like they smell when they are squashed...I wouldn't either.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom