No males? 13 coturnix

m1chelle1

Crowing
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 12, 2017
East Central Florida
Hello all! New-ish to the quail thing. I hatched out 13 quail, and they are 11 weeks old. Here’s the thing.....I’m around them all the time and haven’t heard a single rooster crow. I know what it sounds like. No crowing. Is this unusual? Also, I got my first egg yesterday. At first I was thinking oh I must have a bunch of males because they’re not laying (I’m in Florida, so plenty of daylight). But then I was thinking about how they never make any noise aside from the cheep cheep of regular quail. Do roosters have to crow? I think I may just be confused. If they’re all females I’m just not sure why it took so long to lay.
Thanks all for the advice!! :thumbsup

If they’re just laying, then it makes sense you haven’t got crows yet. Are they feather sexable? If you post a picture of some, I might be able to determine how many males you have.

I have 13 as well that hatched at the end of October. I just got my first 3 eggs yesterday! And only 2 males vocalize so far. One sounds like a frog, and the other goes Prrrrr-pee-WOW. Or something like that. I'm sure like chicken roosters there are dominant quail roosters and the non-dominant males keep quiet and try not to get beat up :)

Attachments

• thru 4.13.2021 044.jpg
    thru 4.13.2021 044.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 2
I have 13 as well that hatched at the end of October. I just got my first 3 eggs yesterday! And only 2 males vocalize so far. One sounds like a frog, and the other goes Prrrrr-pee-WOW. Or something like that. I'm sure like chicken roosters there are dominant quail roosters and the non-dominant males keep quiet and try not to get beat up :)
Wow!! Beautiful!!! 😍

Here’s a pic of mine
625807E9-3A4F-4578-B99F-AF1CF4A4598E.jpeg
625807E9-3A4F-4578-B99F-AF1CF4A4598E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom