No More Eggs??

Kelly Klumpp

Chirping
Oct 23, 2020
Virginia
My 4 hens have all been laying quite well up to around a couple days ago. They laid 4 eggs a day, but sometimes bringing the egg count up to 5 or 6. But around two days ago, all egg production stopped. It didn't even dry up, it just stopped. As in the day before we got 4 eggs, and the day after 0 eggs. Some side information, the weather has been wonderful here, and their ages are all around a year or so. What type of behavior is this? We are confused at this end!

Could they be molting? Maybe something scared them (like they saw a hawk or something?) and they were shocked and stopped producing. I’m not really sure though
I'm not quite sure about molting; most of their feathers seem to be right. Maybe our Rottweiler scared them, because they try to eat his food which he is very protective of, can chickens get scared out of egg laying?

I'm not quite sure about molting; most of their feathers seem to be right. Maybe our Rottweiler scared them, because they try to eat his food which he is very protective of, can chickens get scared out of egg laying?
Sometimes if there is a predator attack, my chickens stop laying for a little bit. Not just the ones who were attacked, the whole flock. So I would assume, yes, they can get scared out of laying, but I think it’s more like a traumatic experience that really does it.

Our chickens got scared out of egg-laying previously. We have had to deal with heat stress, chicken stress, periodic moults (a mini-moult plus the regular annual moult) and even changes in their food amounts can reduce or stop egg-laying. Good luck! #chickenlove 🐔❤️

My 4 hens have all been laying quite well up to around a couple days ago. They laid 4 eggs a day, but sometimes bringing the egg count up to 5 or 6. But around two days ago, all egg production stopped. It didn't even dry up, it just stopped. As in the day before we got 4 eggs, and the day after 0 eggs. Some side information, the weather has been wonderful here, and their ages are all around a year or so. What type of behavior is this? We are confused at this end!
Maybe those 2egg days finally caught up to them. :D (joke)

Do you free range?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1618576680475.png

Maybe those 2egg days finally caught up to them. :D (joke)

Do you free range?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2619244
ahaha, thank you for the advice. I live in Virginia and they have are free ranged

Back
Top Bottom