no more heat....am I cruel?

Quote:
I couldn't agree more, and won't crucify you. I really feel they do better that way.

I just had someone stop by and purchase 6 4 week old Sumatra's from me. She couldn't get over how feathered they were. No heat lamp after about 2 weeks or so, and a room that fluctuates between 50 and 60 degrees. And outside penned up during the day. Sometimes it's still in the upper 30's when they go out. They are fine, and pretty much fully feathered. I really truly believe all the heat is a hinderence, not a help.... but that's just my 2 cents....

Tomorrow when I finish the new coupe the 4 week olds will be living outside for the remainder of their lives....

this little girl (I hope a girl) is only 2 days old. It is 40 degrees F out. The nest box is in a shed. She is not peeping, just interested in eating. The other 3 are under mom in this pic. Although I have seen them all out at once. And it is 40 out!
DSCF0910-1.jpg

When mine are feathered... out they go! No light no extra heat, nada. I've only ever lost 1 and it didn't get back in the coop before dark. It may have actually been trampled on before that even happened, don't know.

I'm sure everyone will be fine... I have a box of 4 week old who'll be going on into their own temp pen in another week or so, and they stay there for 4 weeks until I move them into the coop at night.
wink.png

I have 14 that are around 3 weeks old right now. They have some feathers but are at the ugly kid phase. After mowing the yard and weed whipping I forgot to turn their light back on the other night and it got down close to 50. I felt terrible that I'd forgotten them. When I looked in they were all piled together in a big yellow mass. They survived.

I had late Fall chicks hatch out from under a broody last November and they'd be out with momma in the run running around in 40 degree weather. Let's face it. Chickens have survived for many years without heaters or lights.

Back
Top Bottom