1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No one likes bantam eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Frenzie, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    We have 4 bantams, and 4 big.
    We usually get 3 big eggs, then 3 small eggs.
    But my Dad says "Only sell the big eggs! People don't want the mini's"
    What's up with that? I'm selling miniature eggs for $1.50 but still... I've only had ONE person buy some... and their were some big eggs.
    How much do you sell your bantam eggs for? And is their any way I can get peopel to buy them ._.
    Thanks!

2. chickenology

chickenology Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2010
    Ohio
    Before I had chickens of my own, I used to buy eggs from someone at work. She sold them for $2/dozen and would usually stick in a couple of bantam eggs in each carton. MY KIDS LOVED THE BANTAM EGGS!!! I would boil most of the eggs and serve them for breakfast or snacks. The bantams were so popular she started giving me more. Eventually she would just throw in a carton of bantam eggs for free if I was buying 2 or 3 dozen at a time. The kids found it most satisfying to stuff the entire egg in their mouths and brag to their friends that they could eat a chicken egg in one bite! If you know people with kids, ask them if the would buy bantam eggs. I would probably sell them a bit cheaper than what your regular sized eggs are going for though.

3. rosawoodsii

rosawoodsii Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    I've sold bantam eggs--$1.00 a dozen. I always put a note: 2 bantam eggs makes one large egg. I think people don't buy them if they can't figure out the conversion.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I think it's just the simple fact that most folks just want a regular sized egg, instead of having to mess with 2-3 Banty egg's verses 1 real egg. It has been my experience that the only people who like Banty egg's are Bantam owners. I really just don't want to crack egg's for 10 minutes just to make an Omlete.

AL

5. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    I have all bantams. No one has ever wanted to buy my eggs --except from my 4 bantam Ameraucanas.
    People love to get the little blue eggs for their kids and have offered me 25 cents each for them.
    I've been selling them a dollar for 4 --a day's lay, and then I stick in 2 white as well.
    I have a couple customers so far, and they've been laying 2 months.
    I think if you have some blue eggs to put into your dozens, people would pay more.

6. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Quote:I do the same. Have no problem selling them. Aria

7. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    you could call them grocery store large... [​IMG]

8. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    You could market them just for children, it has already been remarked on that kids are receptive to Bantam eggs. I will also market mine as "cocktail' eggs or eggs perfect for pickling, and at Easter, if I have enough variety of colors, 'ideal' Easter Eggs, just boil, cool and hide. I have silkies, so I suspect they will be broody more than laying and that's OK with me.

9. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I have a mixed flock, so when I sell people eggs, there is a lot of variation. I always give customers 2 banty eggs if I need to substitute for a large. When the girls are laying well, every carton gets 2 banty eggs on top of the big ones.

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    If my bantams are laying those are the eggs I keep for myself..If I have a ton of eggs I include 1 bantam egg per XL egg-some of my eggs are humongous-so they get a bantam egg in their dozen:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by