No one's laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by christa7032, Jun 24, 2010.

1. christa7032

christa7032 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2009
    I have 3 laying hens and I actually had to buy eggs this week! I have gotten 2 eggs this week out of 3 hens. All 3 had been broody and I got them to stop and they started laying again for a few weeks, and now they have stopped again. What is wrong? Is this normal? They all seem perfectly healthy. Is there anything I can do to get them to start again? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Is it very hot where you are? It's sweltering here, and I have noticed a drop in egg production. I have 15 laying hens, so even with the drop in production, we still have enough eggs to eat. If I only had 3 hens, it might seem like much more of a problem.

Other thoughts: Could they be broody again? (Sneaky little she-devils...) Could they be hiding their eggs? This can be a problem if they free range. Possible nutritional deficiency? What are you feeding them? Has anything stressful happened to them recently?

3. emmak

emmak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    North Central Texas
    It's very hot here in North Central Texas, and my chickens have stopped laying. I only have 3. My Ameracauna still has not laid her first egg, but her comb is getting larger, so I'm being patient. My Golden Comet and Old English Bantam have both stopped laying. Yesterday we put in a mister and some sun blocking screen to help them stay a little cooler.

4. NarleevilleClucks

NarleevilleClucks Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2009
    Linthicum, Maryland
    It's been beastly hot here in MD and my 4 hens are taking turns keeping me in 2 eggs a day when I used to get 4. I'm buying more hens this weekend so I can keep the neighbors in eggs...and because I dig having them [​IMG]

5. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    It's been kinda hot here too, I'm averaging 4 eggs from 7 hens.

Although - Annabelle, my blue polish, is notorious for laying elsewhere, so I probably need to invest some time in the garden this weekend so I can watch and see where she's wandering to (before they get rotton and blow up!)

6. christa7032

christa7032 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2009
    It has been pretty hot here (high 80's -90's) so that is probably it. I think one is going broody again, and one may be hiding them because my neighbor lets them out every morning for me so they can run around. They have plenty of shade in their run and their coop is insulated better than most people's houses so they should be staying comfortable but I am sure that is the reason for the decline in production. Thanks for your help :)

7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Welcome to my world. I have 3 eggs from June. This is out of 6 hens. [​IMG]

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm right there with you! My girls have been slacking for a while now! Some are moulting though. I just went back to layer crumbles after being on pellets for a while. They are eating more of this, so hopefully, more eggs soon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by